Staring matches

sharon87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had one kitten and decided to rescue and keep another. One is male and the other is female.

I kept them separated for more than 2 months. They only heard and smelled each other through closed doors. 

After that i introduced them and they were not fantastic but okay. My Zack would be playful but he wouldn't know when to stop till the point where Rene would start hissing. At first i thought he was bullying her but i later realized that she was just letting him know that he is crossing the line. After a while the hissing stopped. They play, wrestle, jump, chase each other. They snuggle and sleep together as well. I thought everything was fine.

Recently I realized something rather odd. Whenever i feed them, they stop eating and just have like some mini staring competition. I found that really weird. I started realizing this maybe a week ago.

Yesterday was when i really got worried. I placed their food bowl down (They have seperate food bowls, water bowls and litter boxes). Both of them had their so called mini staring competition and Rene just walked away without even touching her food!

Just not 5 minutes ago she was meowing like she hadn't eaten for 10 years! I knew both of them were hungry cause i reached home a bit late and therefore fed them a bit latter than usual.

I quickly caught her and brought her food bowl a bit further and told her to eat. She just sat there a while but she started eating and finished her food within seconds. all the time they were eating, they would turn for a brief moment and look at each other.

The weirdest part in all this is after both ate their meals they both touched noses. I know that it is a sign of trust so I'm really confused here. I was wondering if anyone here have experienced the same thing and could give me some explanation as to what might be going on.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Zack is the alpha of the 2 of them.

My 2 girls are litter mates and they eat from bowls that are side by side.  Every time we put the food down Mooch takes a few bites and then backs up a couple feet and watches Noodles eat.  When Noodles is done; Mooch walks back over and finishes eating.  They've been this way for years!  

Now when it comes to space in my lap: Mooch is the alpha.  If Noodles is in my lap and Mooch walks over Noodles will jump down.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharon87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats the thing that confuses me.. Since day 1 i could have sworn that Rene was the alpha. Zack gives in to her for nearly everything but the recent changes in their behaviour surprised me. I also assumed that the apha has now switched to Zack but was a bit concerned when she walked off from her food. I was afraid that they were gonna get aggressive.. They didnt show any body language other than the staring and from my point of view, the staring was quite intense. So naturally i was worried.