Staring Cat

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a while now Cucumella will often sit in front of me when I'm standing up and will look straight into my eyes. I bend down and stroke her but that doesn't seem to be what she wants. She doesn't make any kind of sound, she just stares. I end up by sitting down and then she climbs on my lap and lies there quietly or she sits next to me with her front paws on my lap and usually falls asleep. Cucumella is not very vocal, she seldom miaous or purrs but she does often make sounds ressembling chirping from a bird.

P4300247 (1).JPG
I hope I'm not frustrating her not understanding what she wants. It is not food or water because she does this when her dishes are full.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The photo tells the whole story, I think. That's a five-colour silk Sarouk carpet with an Indian Maddar ground, and it does absolutely nothing for Cucumella's beautiful ginger tones. I'd consider changing it for a nice silk and wool two-tone Semi-Antique Tabriz in Moss and Celadon, since the greens will show Cucumella's colouration in a much more advantageous light.

Cats do tend to simply stare at us now and then as they age; perhaps they're simply conveying their affection - or, like us, they've just misplaced their spectacles. I shouldn't worry overmuch about it, really. She surely is a lovely kitty, isn't she?

Last edited:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a while now Cucumella will often sit in front of me when I'm standing up and will look straight into my eyes. I bend down and stroke her but that doesn't seem to be what she wants. She doesn't make any kind of sound, she just stares. I end up by sitting down and then she climbs on my lap and lies there quietly or she sits next to me with her front paws on my lap and usually falls asleep. Cucumella is not very vocal, she seldom miaous or purrs but she does often make sounds ressembling chirping from a bird.

View attachment 191802 I hope I'm not frustrating her not understanding what she wants. It is not food or water because she does this when her dishes are full.
Maybe she just wants you to sit down and relax ? :lovecat2:
She's such a sweetie...

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cucumella has just seen the photo of the cat you proposed and she fell in love :redheartpump: with his blue eyes. She wants to stay with me and keep your cat. :lovecat3:
Moo Shu Snowshoe, that evil wretched horrid wonderful kitty is already on her way via Fed Ex. I have addressed it:

Lady Who Wants Showshoe Cat
Uruguay

FedEx will find you; there can't be more than one person in all of Uraguay who'd be crazy enough to take a Snowshoe Cat.

;)

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elfie didn't use to be vocal and still uses a lot of non-vocal cues to communicate with me. Cats have a way of training us. Elfie knows that if she looks from me, to the toy shelf, and back to me - that I will grab something and play with her. Sometimes she will stare at me for me to pet her, and then sometimes I'll stand up to pet her - and she will start walking towards the balcony to be let out!

If she jumps onto your lap after she's stared at you, you're probably doing exactly what she wants :thumbsup: If it's something else she wants, trust she will make it evident! It's fun communicating without the vocalisations, in my opinion. Don't tell Elfie but I'm kinda sad she started meowing more :lol: There's a certain grace about silent cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Elfilou. I find it interesting that your cat has become more vocal after having been non vocal before because Cucumella who is over 14 years old only recently has surprised me with very occasional meoing. Perhaps with some cats it is a question of age.:dunno:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My semi feral girl who cannot be held and will not climb into my lap, spends long periods of time staring at me. When they stare like that I don't think that they always want something. I think for the same reason we sometimes watch them because they are so darn beautiful and precious, they also spend time staring at us.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Susan, there may be something in what you say. But when we watch them we don't necessarily stare fixedly and look right straight into their eyes. By the way I have read somewhere that cats don't like that. It is certainly not my experience with Cucumella but then not all cats have exactly the same disposition.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Tanks Susan, there may be something in what you say. But when we watch them we don't necessarily stare fixedly and look right straight into their eyes. By the way I have read somewhere that cats don't like that. It is certainly not my experience with Cucumella.
I do not stare directly into my cats eyes either, but I do spend a great deal of time looking at her. As for her, I cannot tell if she is staring at my eyes or my face, I just know that she is content to do it for long periods of time.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Cucumella is so beautiful :loveeyes: as are your rug and your floor. I think you are doing exactly what she wants you to do by sitting down so she can snuggle :kiss: The other day ODLW (our dear little weirdo :updown:) was up on one of her perches in the kitchen watching heaven knows what :dunno: :doh:
20170806_114903-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cucumella is so beautiful :loveeyes: as are your rug and your floor. I think you are doing exactly what she wants you to do by sitting down so she can snuggle :kiss: The other day ODLW (our dear little weirdo :updown:) was up on one of her perches in the kitchen watching heaven knows what :dunno: :doh:
View attachment 191836

Thank you dustydiamond for your compliments :redheartpump: That is a lovely photo of Gypsy. I hope she will participate in the next contest whatever the subject may be. She is honouring the title of this thread with her magnifique stare.

You are probably right with your interpretation of Cucumella's stare, which is also Elfilou's. It is true that she starts her shenanigan when I have been on my feet for sometime, be it in the kitchen or watering the plants. She is probably saying "well, when are you going to sit down.

Perhaps other members will now participate with their cats' staring photos. I surely look forward to it.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Avatar pic is Willow in the midst of a long stare at my son. He is a photographer and Willow one of his favorite suobjects.
Hi Susan. I wonder why your son being a photographer fond of Willow you haven't shared with us some more of your son's photos. Or is it me who has missed them or don't know how to find them. I love your avatar and look forward to new pics. :camera:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_0247.JPG
Hi Susan. I wonder why your son being a photographer fond of Willow you haven't shared with us some more of your son's photos. Or is it me who has missed them or don't know how to find them. I love your avatar and look forward to new pics. :camera:
This is one of my favorites. Kind of big, don't know how to shrink it on iPad.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Susan. Willow is a lovely cat. The size of your pic isn't too big at all. Haven't you seen everybody elses? Please don't try to post them any smaller.