Stalking

gizmoe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 7 cats, ranging from 4 months to 19 years old. They were all abandoned. I have introduced them all to each other the same way...gradually. My problem is the latest one that I brought in. She is about 1 1/2 and is the mother of the 4 month old. She used to eat on my back porch and then was missing for about 2 weeks. When she came back her tail was all broken and bent. I finally got her in the house to warm up, eat and rest, but she got out a few days later when I opened the door. She returned about 2 days later and most of her tail had fallen off. I have since gotten her to stay in the house and have taken her to the vet for shots, worming and to have the tail looked at. And to find out that she is pregnant, due within two weeks (My first and last litter).
My problem is after keeping the cats seperate for awhile and then introducing them slowly, they got along, now the new cat will stalk and attack my older cats biting at their necks, turning them over and rabbit kicking their stomachs. I have to physically seperate them. I now have them in seperate areas of the house.
I asked the vet if her tail, pain and pregnancy have anything to do with this behavior and if it will change after she has the kittens and they are weaned. She said probably not.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any thoughts or advice?

Gizmoe

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Giz-

Her problem is all the other cats in her space. Being pregnant she is in anxiety mode and full protect mode. Your best bet is to keep her in her own room with all the comforts you can give her. Seven cats is a lot of cats and once she has her kittens, you are going to be really swamped with cats. Mulit-cat households have this type of problem if there is not enough space for each cat to get away from each other, or at least off the floor on different levels to feel more secure.

I would invest in several feliway comfort zone room diffusers and get those going, but keep her in her own part of the house. By the way, most vets aren't very well versed on cat behavior- they are to immersed in the field of medicine and science.

I strongly recommend Wendy Christensen's new book Outwitting Cats, as well as Pam Johnson-Bennett's Hiss and Tell and cat vs cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizmoe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Hissy, I will check into the books and the room defusers.

Yes, 7 is a lot of cats. Mommy is in the finished basement by herself (catwise) I am down here most of the time when I am not at work.

Gizmoe