Stage 4 Kidney Failure

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys

Haven't posted here in a while since I seem to always be running around all the time haha!

Anywho, I found out today that my boy Oscar' kidney failure has progressed to stage 4. He's on an anti-acid and anti vomiting medication. My vet wants us to start him on fluids every 3 days. I'm very anxious for many reasons. One being that I have a phobia of needles and two because Oscar is very skinny, so putting the needle in is extra scary. I'm so afraid that the needle will go right through the skin I pinch (some people call it "making a tent").

Any tips on how to administer the fluids on a very bony/skinny cat? (Keep in mind that I'll be going to the vet on Thursday for them to show me how to do it, but any tip is greatly appreciated)

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Have them show you, and then you repeat it while you are there so you know exactly what to do.

Has your vet said anything about adding things that won't cause any further issues with his kidneys such as nutrical, Pedialyte, kitten food, kitten glop to his diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going on Thursday with Oscar so that they can show me how to do it, but it still really scares me. I'm just really not brave when it comes to needles and he doesn't like them either.
I'm not quite sure what other treatments she had in mind, since we talked on the phone while I was at work and I got a little emotional. So basically, I kinda heard only half the things she said haha. But I'll be sure to ask what else we should be trying for the little guy.
Wish us luck!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need to have someone with you to ask questions, ask the vet to repeat what she told you, and make sure to write it down or record it on your phone.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For sure. She'll probably send me an email with all the info I need. Right now we just want to make him as comfortable and happy as possible.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh good, she sounds like a great vet! Be sure and ask if those things I mentioned above can help your baby put on some weight :)

Let us know what she says and how things go :vibes::redheartpump:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
drat - I didn't get the alert that you'd posted, I saw this by accident and I'm so glad I did.

awww - precious baby Oscar. Hopefully you can find a way to get a few more nutrients into him :sickcat: :lovecat4:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending you-all my very best wishes!!

Don't forget to ask about those food ideas I had;
nutrical,
unflavored Pedialyte,
kitten glop,
kitten canned food,
tuna,
shredded cheddar cheese,
ask if freeze dried treats are ok, they're raw food and might not be...

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi:
I am so sorry about your kitty. When my cat, at age 17, was diagnosed with end-stage kidney failure, I asked my vat how best to treat him. She told me sub-q fluids are best. I knew how to give them, and TRUST ME! it's easy. My cat lived another TWO YEARS with fluids! I put my cat on the kitchen counter, and hung the Fluids bag above his head. Then I just made a tent (believe me, he was very skinny) and slipped the needle in his scruff. If you angle your needle and point it down, it won't pierce the tent. You'll get the hang of it, and so will he. It made all the difference for my cat. Good that your vet is showing you how to do it!

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Thank you all for the comments and advice (especially the encouraging notes!) The first Sub-q injection was done at the vet (where she explained in full detail and showed us how to do it correctly) and today was the first time we had to do it at home. I must say, I am very proud of myself! I did it on my own! Woop woop! For right now, he is only taking one full 60cc syringe every 3 days and we are using a butterfly needle, which I find a lot less scary. It was my first time, so I was a little too slow in putting the needle in, so he felt it a little. But he was actually a very good boy. The only thing is that I don't think he likes feeling the cold fluids enter his little body. I'm wondering if I could warm up the fluids a little before hand. I'll have to call the vet tomorrow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for you, you ROCK!!
From what I've read elsewhere here, you can warm the fluids, good on you for thinking of that :)
Some say to warm the bag, others say just the tube so definitely ask your vet what the best method is.

Last edited:

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it was cold out, I'd soak the bag in hot water for 30 minutes before dosing. My cat didn't really respond differently to cold or warm. Good for you!!!! I knew you could do it! How does he feel now? He should be feeling more peppy.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet told me I should use a "Bain Marie" but I have no clue how to do it with a syringe... I guess I'll figure something out.
I've done it twice now, the first time went better than Wednesday. The needle didn't go in correctly the first time, so I had to remove it and start again. But he has another treatment tonight, so wish us luck! I have to get the coconut oil out and ready so went I'm done with his fluids I can give him a little treats. :)

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so what I did to warm up the fluids is that I filled up a vase, but the syringe in a large ziplock bag and put it into the vase. Added some warm (more on the hotter side, but not too hot) and let it sit there for 2 minutes. I don't think I let it sit long enough, as the syringe was still kinda cold, but he didn't move as much this time. Just complained about the whole situation. Gave him some yummy coconut oil right after and he was very happy! I'm gonna try doing it while he eats next time, since I usually wrap him up in a burrito. haha

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it was cold out, I'd soak the bag in hot water for 30 minutes before dosing. My cat didn't really respond differently to cold or warm. Good for you!!!! I knew you could do it! How does he feel now? He should be feeling more peppy.
I just realized that I didn't answer your question. He's actually doing pretty well. He still isn't super peppy, especially not right after I give him his injection. He ends up sulking a little lol. But he has been less sleepy and more around us lately. I'm really hoping it helps him more with time. I'm probably going to have to go back to the vets in a few weeks for a follow up, so we'll see if my vet wants us to up the amount we give him. Though I know that he cannot have more than 60cc per day due to his heart.