Stage 2 kidney disease

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just found my 9 year old Squishy has stage 2 kidney disease. Is this something that can be long term? Should I plan for the worst? Please give any advise 🙁

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately, kidney disease is a progressive disease. There is no way to reverse the outcome.

Fortunately, there are ways of handling it to minimize the effects the disease has on the body and most cats live decent lives for a long while once diagnosed. These include; administration of subQ fluids, certain food additives that help with kidney function, feeding good quality wet food primarily that is lower in potassium (plenty of them available) and use of probiotics.

We had a kidney cat and were heartbroken upon his diagnosis, however, he lived for about 3 more years with good care. Your vet will be able to guide you to what is needed at this stage.

One of the best sites for excellent information is Tanya's Comprehensive Guide for Feline Chronic Kidney Disease

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

There are groups you can join to chat with others and get tips and tricks for their care. It was a life saver for me and for many others here on TCS and beyond.

We currently have another cat that had been diagnosed with early Stage 1 but with some tweaking of her diet she now does not register as being on the scale of disease. The earlier you catch it the better hence why vets recommend 2x yearly visits for senior cats.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I's had three kidney cats and each one lived three years after diagnosis. There are some cats here on this website that have lived more years than that...it really just depends on the cat. Unfortunately, some cats don't do well and have a shorter lifespan after diagnosis. Is your cat showing symptoms. Mine ALL were losing weight and drinking tons when they were diagnosed, that's what brought us to the Vet. Now we know better and follow the above advise and get semi-annual check-ups with bloodwork for our furry friends.

Anyway, that website listed above was my go to for everything related to kidney disease, especially when it came to the food a, what to use for morning throw-ups, etc. Did your Vet recommend you do anything at this point? Low phosphorus food? I'm thinking that might be all at the moment, but there are some new meds out now that weren't available with our last kidney cat, so maybe you'll be trying some of those. Kidney disease isn't curable, but it can sometimes be "put on hold" for awhile with proper care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I's had three kidney cats and each one lived three years after diagnosis. There are some cats here on this website that have lived more years than that...it really just depends on the cat. Unfortunately, some cats don't do well and have a shorter lifespan after diagnosis. Is your cat showing symptoms. Mine ALL were losing weight and drinking tons when they were diagnosed, that's what brought us to the Vet. Now we know better and follow the above advise and get semi-annual check-ups with bloodwork for our furry friends.

Anyway, that website listed above was my go to for everything related to kidney disease, especially when it came to the food a, what to use for morning throw-ups, etc. Did your Vet recommend you do anything at this point? Low phosphorus food? I'm thinking that might be all at the moment, but there are some new meds out now that weren't available with our last kidney cat, so maybe you'll be trying some of those. Kidney disease isn't curable, but it can sometimes be "put on hold" for awhile with proper care.
He’s had no symptoms at all really!! I am getting him hills prescription k&d food I just ordered it!! Turns out his SDMA is 18.7 and normal is 18

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He’s had no symptoms at all really!! I am getting him hills prescription k&d food I just ordered it!! Turns out his SDMA is 18.7 and normal is 18
Don't be surprised if he will not eat the prescription diet. Many cats won't. There are many appropriate foods out there that will meet the nutritional needs of a cat with CKD. Plus, some vets are kind of "old school" and say reducing protein helps but I believe this isn't up to date info for older cats, who need protein to avoid wasting.