Ssscat Cat Repellent

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if this product was effective.

I feed the cats on the counters of the kitchen, but not on the side of the kitchen where the stove is. I want to have them stay away from the stove when I am cooking. The older cat is better behaved, but the younger cannot stay out of trouble for two minutes. I don't want them or me (or anyone else) getting hurt or the house to get damaged.

Usually when the cats are near something where they aren't supposed to be I sneakily, so they don't know it's coming from me, throw (gently and not at them) something that makes noise that lands next to them or place something where they jump so it dumps the item on the floor near them so they get startled and scurry away, but lately (and especially the kitten) is not really phased by these things.

I got a spray from petco, which worked for a few tries, but then they became desensitized to the smell I think.

Do citrus peels truly work to repel? because if so, I can try that first too.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Citrus peels do work as a repellent, cats hate that sharp smell. You can also try some double sided pet tape on the edges of the counter you don't want them on. They hate sticky, tacky feeling as well. I have heard good things about the ssscat as well, though it does scare the heck out of your cats, especially th first couple times. Better than burned paws though.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I had good results keeping the cats off the kitchen counters with Sssscat. It is a motion detector that sprays some air when triggered.

The biggest problem I had was that DH would forget the cans were there and set them off. I kept telling him to get off the counters.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you buy Ssscat? Would it work to keep Luna away from the door?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

Where do you buy Ssscat? Would it work to keep Luna away from the door?
Yes, it would help keep Luna away from the door. One of the more common uses besides counters is keeping cats out of bedrooms at night. You have to set it up so it puffs the air in the right spot by the door, it has to go right at Luna as she's trying to run out. I know Petsmart carries them. Petco doesn't even have them on their site, so I wouldn't bet on finding them there.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lady Rowan

I want to have them stay away from the stove when I am cooking.
I pointed this out in an older thread. But do not put pressurized cans near the stove. All it would take is someone (cat or human) bumping it when the stove is on and you could have a serious, potentially fatal, accident on your hands - it becomes a small bomb. The can itself even has a warning about heat.
Another thing to consider is that the propellent in it ( I can't remember what it was now, I looked it up for that old thread) is similar to what is in your cans of compressed air. No really ideal, and especially not safe around fish tanks (as people have wanted to use it in past threads).

If you truly want them off the counters and not confused, move their feeding spot to the table or a table just for them - if you have to keep it out of kiddie or dog reach.

Otherwise a "get you butt down, now!" works around here.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, beat me to it, I was about to mention the same. Not a safe location, and cats have very sensitive heat receptors on the very tip of their noses. Its not as sensitive as that of a snake, but serves the same purpose and would work fine for detecting extreme temperatures.

Locations where the cat can SEE the SSSCAT are also not ideal.

Both Wesley and Buttercup can recognize the can, and when I move it and they see it in my hand they immediately crouch down and usually back away as they know its evil.

Great for denying access to a room by putting it just behind the threshold out of sight, or prevent them from skirting under beds by placing it beneath, and counters are fine too if its in a place where it can't be seen from the ground until the cat jumps up as otherwise its not really a deterrent as they will just check in advance whether its there or not. And obviously be 100% consistent and don't often change up where they can and can't go, heh.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Thanks, beat me to it, I was about to mention the same. Not a safe location, and cats have very sensitive heat receptors on the very tip of their noses. Its not as sensitive as that of a snake, but serves the same purpose and would work fine for detecting extreme temperatures.
Haha tell that to my cat who tries to walk on the stove with all four burners going. Or my kitten who is entranced with touching the light bulb on my desk lamp with his paw all the time, even though he burns himself a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I pointed this out in an older thread. But do not put pressurized cans near the stove. All it would take is someone (cat or human) bumping it when the stove is on and you could have a serious, potentially fatal, accident on your hands - it becomes a small bomb. The can itself even has a warning about heat.
Another thing to consider is that the propellent in it ( I can't remember what it was now, I looked it up for that old thread) is similar to what is in your cans of compressed air. No really ideal, and especially not safe around fish tanks (as people have wanted to use it in past threads).

If you truly want them off the counters and not confused, move their feeding spot to the table or a table just for them - if you have to keep it out of kiddie or dog reach.

Otherwise a "get you butt down, now!" works around here.
ahh good catch about this hazard. Actually, I typically have them in a room when I am cooking and my main concern is when they are out is that I just want them to know that area is a no no spot. The trouble maker always comes past the sink to the stove, so the can would face away from the stove itself. I still will try alternative methods prior to trying this one though.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like anything like that anywhere near the stove actually. Stuff gets knocked over, especially if you're in a bit of a hurry or someone else comes in and crowds you. BUT I've seen plenty of people set pot holders and dish towels a bit too close to the stove before - and, whoosh, instant fire.

You can say it will never happen, or that you'll be careful, but all it takes is someone else who isn't.

Try repetition for a bit. Make sure they know they are never welcome near the stove, whether it's on or off. My cats know they're allowed in the sink, in the window, and on the counter by the fridge (and on top of the fridge). If they venture too close to the stove we tell them to get down (usually yelled from the living room
) and they listen.

I have a middle room (middle of the house) off from the kitchen that the door always stays closed to (geckos are kept in there). I'm really wanting to get a door tree for it as that will provide them with more vertical space in a safe part of the kitchen. I don't know if giving your cats a space in the kitchen is possible, but maybe that would help?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Yes, it should not be used when the stove is being used. But I have always watched my cats when the stove is on. We would move everything away from the stove when it was on.

I found it useful for the rest of the time when I wasn't in the kitchen. It kept the cats away from the area when I wasn't there and after awhile, they avoided the spot. As I said, people set it off so it doesn't work well in high traffic areas.

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well the kitchen is fairly small since we are in a townhouse, but I figure, try the sticky tape and peels prior to getting this in case I can find a simpler fix. I am hesitant to use it in certain situations now knowing about the hazard with heat.

(plus oranges and other citrus foods are tasty so it would be a yummy solution if it works
)

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

Yes, it would help keep Luna away from the door. One of the more common uses besides counters is keeping cats out of bedrooms at night. You have to set it up so it puffs the air in the right spot by the door, it has to go right at Luna as she's trying to run out. I know Petsmart carries them. Petco doesn't even have them on their site, so I wouldn't bet on finding them there.
OMG thank you!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

Haha tell that to my cat who tries to walk on the stove with all four burners going. Or my kitten who is entranced with touching the light bulb on my desk lamp with his paw all the time, even though he burns himself a bit.
Ok, well, at least you can know that he is fully aware of how hot it is before deciding to burn himself... doh! *facepalm* I guess with the relationship with my ex I can kind of relate. So hot, OUCH never doing that again, oh but so hot, OUCH!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Yes, it should not be used when the stove is being used. But I have always watched my cats when the stove is on. We would move everything away from the stove when it was on.

I found it useful for the rest of the time when I wasn't in the kitchen. It kept the cats away from the area when I wasn't there and after awhile, they avoided the spot. As I said, people set it off so it doesn't work well in high traffic areas.
Yes, it is invaluable to me. It does not have to be near the stove. You can aim it anywhere and it works up to 6 feet away, at least here it does.

Just don't use it while the stove is on. I mean, I have cooking spray sitting near the stove while I cook, you just have to be careful.

The noise scares them more than the actual spray, IMO. Mine has been put away for months now, no one goes on the cupboard anymore.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I was wondering about this myself. Buddy was counter fed before we got him so he still thinks its ok to be up there. I've tried everything to keep him off. The sccat thing seems like a better idea. That way I can be sure there is something to keep him off when no one is around to actually catch him. I don't mean to be cruel but I watched some videos of it being used and laughed pretty hard at the stubborn cats that kept trying to get on the counter with it there. They pop right up in the air every time!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious... Everyone else is talking about gas stoves, correct? I have electric and the stove top stays hot for a while and have to make sure there's nothing around the stove that can be pushed on to the hot burners accidentally. (plus there's two guys that are not careful, I've caught them carelessly setting plastic microwave dishes down on hot burners)

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am talking about a gas stove, but even with a gas burner, the grate is still hot for a while after i assume (i never touched one of course)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lady Rowan

I am talking about a gas stove, but even with a gas burner, the grate is still hot for a while after i assume (i never touched one of course)
It is, a bit, depending on how soon you grab it. (I've pulled them off of stoves shortly after drying cast iron skillets out to wash them) But nothing like how a ceramic/glass range top can hold the heat. If it wasn't for the fact that I've gotten used to how easy it is to clean the thing I'd have gotten rid of it already.

Oddly, my cats have never really went over an tried to mess with the range when it's hot like that. It's only when it's cooled and there's still some food left out cooling before being put up that a couple of them will occasionally try anything.

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, my black cat (kitten) is silly enough to pretty much wrap his tail around the space heater, so I dunno if I trust him with other heat producing things.. :p