Squirrels In Short Supply

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This winter I put out perhaps 15 ears of field corn. I have seen Only 1 Squirrel in the Past two weeks. Last winter there were a abundance of squirrels . It's Ashame as they provide great entertainment for my two boys. I'm hoping that the severe cold is the reason for the squirrels Absence .

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all at my house! My last cat passed one week ago and I was just thinking how much they would love watching the little pests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all at my house! My last cat passed one week ago and I was just thinking how much they would love watching the little pests.
I'm in the "Snow Belt" the day time Temperature hasn't been above freezing For over 1 week. I can't wait till Spring.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of squirrels as they are so destructive. However, we have hawks too, and once they begin nesting they will get the squirrel population more balanced again.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of squirrels as they are so destructive. However, we have hawks too, and once they begin nesting they will get the squirrel population more balanced again.
Hmm maybe the lack of squirrels Is partially due to Bald Eagles. There us a nest about 2 miles from my home.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
2 squirrels a year! Not many birds have been around. I used to get blue jays,cardinals,sparrows, red winged black bird,, and doves in the winter. Maybe their staying away because the abnormal freeze that also made winter finches fly down that had salmonia disease?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some times the neighbors just have better snacks. I usually have half a dozen squirrels but there are periods of time with only one or two. Temperature does have something to do with but other food sources also plays a role. Of you are able to set out a heated water source you may be able to lure them back. Also, if they are ignoring corn, try an occasional scoop of sunflower seeds or peanuts.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some times the neighbors just have better snacks. I usually have half a dozen squirrels but there are periods of time with only one or two. Temperature does have something to do with but other food sources also plays a role. Of you are able to set out a heated water source you may be able to lure them back. Also, if they are ignoring corn, try an occasional scoop of sunflower seeds or peanuts.
Thanks for the alternate food suggestions.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the issue here, in part. Half the time, the little buggers will come up and try to beg from you. Somebody's kids are gonna get bit!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are fewer squirrels and chipmunks around out yard, too, but there are also a lot more cats hanging around.

There's Louie and Pikachu, the neighbors' cats. I know their humans and they are welcome in my yard. Our cat, Casper, is buddies with both of them.

However, there is also a calico, a brown tabby, a grey & black tabby, a tuxedo and a couple of other cats roaming the neighborhood. I don't know who their humans are but I know that they are all neighborhood cats, living within a few blocks of my house.

On top of that we have red tailed hawks, sharp shinned hawks, bald eagles, vultures, great horned owls, barred owls and coyotes.

No squirrel with a lick of sense would be caught dead hanging out near ground level, around here.
If they did, they would be...caught dead! ;)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unsalted peanuts or whole walnuts (or at least unsalted shelled walnuts.) Apparently walnuts are a squirrel’s favorite. I can’t really get them to eat the corn in their squirrel food.

I buy the peanuts at the $ store & have lots of squirrels by my apartment building. If I put a bag worth out of peanuts it will be gone in a day or two max! I live in Ventura County, California. So the weather is great for 🐿🐿🐿 !

Jackie & Cami watching a squirrel at Nana’s house. She feeds one squirrel by hand. All of “her” 3 squirrels will beg if their food runs out. Me? I feed the squirrels but I buy my bird food with chili 🌶 in it so the damn squirrels don’t eat it all! Plus if you have regular bird food they will dig through & toss out all the seed from your feeder except for the sunflower seeds they eat. 🤦🏻‍♀️

5D9DEAA5-8903-4B80-8659-1CEC0E35A966.jpeg
0946734B-0A21-492B-841D-A85D4F3A311F.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are spending the winter here in Florida.
Agree!! Although, I have them year-round. I have at least a dozen every morning when I put out food for them in the squirrel perches, and others come throughout the day as well. They get unsalted peanuts in the shell, which they love, but I also feed them a mixture of sunflower seeds, shelled peanuts, and corn.

Premium 3-D Pet Products (exclusively Wal Mart) is the best brand because it contains less corn than many other brands. They generally eat it all - and mostly all that is left are the hauls from the sunflower seeds (and the peanut shells, of course). They never much liked those corn cobs...

After years of experimenting, I have managed to set up 2 bird feeders that the squirrels cannot get to thankfully (knock on wood), as I found things like cayenne pepper/etc. were NOT a deterrent to the squirrels at all.

Gladly, stray cats around here just aren't fast enough to get the squirrels, and the squirrels will have 'show-downs' with the hawks - also happy to report the squirrels 'win' every time!

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just buy them unsalted peanuts. Sometimes in the shell, sometimes not. The unshelled ones are easier for the birds to eat.

I also give them almonds that I pick out of containers of unsalted mixed nuts. I'm not a fan.

ETA: I also make them peanut butter sandwiches. I use the natural peanut butter that's just peanuts and salt. If I have bread, I use that and cut the sandwiches into small pieces. If I don't have any, I'll spread the peanut butter on a tortilla, roll it up and cut it into small pieces.

Last edited:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20220125_121158.jpg A single Squirrel finally returned this morning. My boys are over the moon watching the squirrel. 20220125_121158.jpg