Squinting One Eye

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abby likely had Herpes as a kitten. She gets L-Lysine twice daily with her meals. She is nearly blind from cataracts.
Took her to vet a week ago. Abby wouldn't squint, they did a stain and could not see anything and gave us a triple antibiotic goop. Used this for about four days till she just wouldn't let and she seemed fine. Yesterday she started squinting again and a little watery. She was washing and rubbing it quite hard so I used the goop. Her eye does not seem red when comparing both. You can see a little of the third eyelid in both eyes. As a comparison in Ruby you can't see any. I don't mind paying for vet but I can't afford $78.00 with no solution. The pinky sized tube of goop was $21.00.
I just don't know if I should take her to the vet or keep using the goop on her eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today Abby is not squinting and her third eyelids are tucked away. I'm glad but.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did they tell you to keep using the medication until it was done? Usually you have to do a course of treatment, and stick with it so that the problem doesn't keep reappearing. Herpes is a tough one to treat though. My cat Pushy has it and has a constantly weeping eye. We wipe it every day and it basically stays the same and we just watch for any flare ups.

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try adding lactoferrin along with her lysine, some people have had good results doing that.

And like pushylady said, you have to do a full course when prescribed antibiotics even if things look better. They don't work when you don't complete the treatment.