Squeaky vs. the Cat Carrier

mary louise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We need to take our beautiful Squeaky to the vet for his annual checkup.  However, he has managed  to outfox us five times in a row when we try to put him in the carrier.  We've tried to sneak up on him while he was snoozing, we've tried to bring the carrier to him and we've tried treats, but Squeaky, a very smart cat, has not been fooled.  He manages to hide under our beds, just out of reach.  Even soft cat food won't coax him out.   Is there any painless way to get him into the carrier without frightening him (he's a nervous cat anyway?)  

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We leave our cat carriers out with clean towels in them at all times. The carriers themselves don't bother the cats. Sometimes the cats even nap in the cat carriers, as they are tucked away in room corners.

However, the cats know that when we move a cat carrier, it means trouble. They, of course, run. But we close the bedroom doors before moving the cat carriers so at least they can't get under the bed. As far as getting them in the carriers, we try to stay gentle, speak in soft voices, and pet and soothe as much as we can. Now that we have been closing the bedroom doors for a while, the cats are learning not to run and it's a lot less stressful on everyone.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Cat carrier out all the time or out several days in advance: all ready for action with soft bedding and whatever else is needed, door open. (I use a fully opening top carrier).  Close of any of the best hiding holes /rooms as early as you can.  20 minutes or so before action spray with Feliway spray if you have it, OR, spray carrier and then go  out of the house for a bit.

If I have a vet appointment on a work day I set up the stuff before I go to work then come in in good time to get the cat as soon as I can following the same strategy as going out briefly....

Options if you have gone out:  come in and your go through your usual cat greetings (hopefully) and while you are still doing this pick up and straight to carrier.  If you don't manage to get your cat as soon as you greet each other follow the routine as you would at all other times...

Make yourself a nice drink of tea or coffee of something that you do when you are settling in for a nice relaxing session - put the radio or TV on, get the computer on, everything that gives out a message you are in to stay, cat toys out, put your PJs on if you need to,  start making someting to eat but only in a way you can leave it and get to vet when the cat is in the carrier.  .....  pick up cat at first oportunity and straight in to carrier.

We give our cats all sorts of clues and messages that we are going to do something to them by changing our routine and feeling tense so the best thing you can do is relax and do something indicating you are going nowhere.   Practice relaxing breathing techniques and relaxing your muscles - yoga, what ever your thing is to keep yourself from giving away that you are expecting something difficult.

Refined technique over about 8 years with a vet phobic cat (a previous vet gave me small numbers of sedative tablets for me to give her but he left) and getting in the same room as her was a terrifying experience never mind picking her up and getting her in to a carrier  when she sensed a vet visit coming on.

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Zoey will do anything to avoid the carrier. When i adopted her in the shelter, she actually escaped several times before we could get her in it, she has the strongest hind legs I've ever seen. I leave the carriers out and Luna will nap in them to her hearts desire, but not Zoey. To get her to the vet, I basically have to swaddle her, and stick her in there. Once she's in she lays down and is fine.

Then, at the vet she never wants to get out of the carrier, but is ready to go right back in to go home :)