Spring allergies

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Uggh...for over a month now. The past few days have been driving me nuts: itching and a runny nose. We have so much pollen this year. There's a dogwood tree next to my driveway, and the pollen was so thick on my car. I wiped it off, now it's back again. Then there's the blasted larch tree (neighbor's tree) on the other side. It's dropping pine cones all over my driveway. I don't spend time outside, so this happened just from the very brief times when I get in and out my car and feed the birds. Long sleeves don't help. It's so bad, I may have to give up gardening.

I've always been allergic to flowering trees, but the itching started six years ago, so every April, my forearms itch like mad for 8-10 weeks, including a lovely red rash. The rash isn't bad this year, but the itching is. However, it now includes my chest area and the sides of my neck, up to my ears.

I can't take meds for it, so I have to suffer.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My allergies have been aggravating too. Yesterday I was watching the morning news and they said Trees, Pollen, Grass and Mold were all at a high level. I've been sneezing more than usual. If I try to pull weeds I break out in a rash but flowers don't bother me. I do take one prescribed allergy med which helps but I also bought an air purifier for our bedroom. Is there a natural or holistic supplement that you can take since you can't have meds?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! My allergies are terrible this year. I'm just a snot machine at this point...and the post nasal drip makes it seem like I'm sick all the time due to my cough, so I'm constantly having to explain myself to people so they don't think I'm sharing germs. The pollen isn't too thick just yet around here, although it is starting, but the mold is really bad.
I do take an allergy pill every night, but I sometimes wonder how well it actually works.

I can't take meds for it, so I have to suffer.
Look into a natural product called Quercetin. This product has shown to be good for many things including having anti-histamine properties. I know someone who did use it and she said it worked for her...

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son has allergies and I read this year is quite bad for allergy symptoms. I thought that was what was wrong until he started with a fever and dizziness. Turns out he’s suffering from allergies and has the flu type b. He’s miserable with the double whammy.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
This spring, it’s mostly constantly watering eyes. I look like I’m crying all the time. But it’s better than usual, because I normally also have the sniffly nose, sneezing, headache. So I’ll take the watery eyes! :bawling:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the area of the country where I am,I think the number of people with allergies is way more than those who don't,and those who've never had them before sure do now.It's miserable for sure!I take fexofenadine for during the day and montelukast at night...not perfect but it works better than nothing.I have noticed I'm needing to use my nebulizer and albuterol more this year than ever.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Saturday I was weeding my side garden under the neighbors big pine. I looked out when I took a break and the breeze picked up and saw a nice cloud of pollen released. The pollen on my car had died down but it’s increased again a bit. May used to be a bad time for me before I had my kids. It’s not as bad since and my doctor approved going back on Allegra; which previously worked very well for me. So I’m not doing bad at all. I probably should have used the neti bottle after the gardening just to get the dirt and pollen out anyway.

My kid’s allergist said flonase then Zyrtec if they aren’t getting enough control with flonase. And an eye drop. But all the nasal sprays say they can disrupt your growth so I’m not to keen on them at the moment. Maybe when they are older,