Spraying female Maine Coon

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old Maine Coon female who has spraying "flare ups."  This all started at the arrival of my 2.5 year old daughter.  She started by peeing in sinks shortly after the new baby arrival - I have two other cats (all indoor) so it took months to figure out which cat was doing it and she would maybe do it once a week.  I finally found out it was her because after a party she followed me directly into a bathroom, jumped into the bath tub and sprayed the tub.  So it started with both vertical and horizontal surfaces.  I've taken her to the vet, and tests always come back clean.  I've since tried separating her during parties but it seems like that makes it worse because when she comes back to the main living area, it has a different scent and she instantly starts rubbing and brushing up on everything.  She sprays in multiple locations now (walls, doors, sinks, bath tubs, toddler toys, plastic horizontal surfaces) and doesnt seem to have a specific preference.  She has been on prozac for over a year and I try the feliway diffuses but she will spray right next to those too.  She doesn't usually spray constantly, there's usually a month break in between and there is *usually* a trigger (party, house cleaning, new windows, etc - so anything to bring in new scents).  At the moment she had gone 8 months with nothing and then we had someone clean the house (oops).  She sprayed the tv twice after that happened then calmed down for a couple weeks.  Now she's on a new rampage and sprayed about 3-4 different things in a couple days.  I have since quarantined her to the basement (where the cats sleep at night otherwise they wake us up at 5 AM).  She rarely sprays in the basement (because there usually arent intruders or changes down there), but I feel bad leaving her down there too long because there isnt much natural light (a few window well windows).  I have been letting my other cats up during the day and giving the spraying cat alone time, but I still feel bad keeping her down there when she would prefer to come up (meows at the door).  I try giving her an hour up, but once she goes to spray (backs up and gets in position), I have to put her back down there.  And co-cat tension wise, the other two cats are attached at the hip and this one is solo but there are rarely any cat scuffles.  

So basically, how long is too long to keep her quarantined in the dark basement?  She does have cat perches/trees and toys down there.  And what other things should I try?  I know the territory disturbances are the main trigger, but they are bound to happen eventually so should I keep her downstairs longer whenever I know there will be some sort of change?  Any other tips would be helpful.  I feel awful because she was good for 8 months and then someone cleaned the house and now we are having windows put in so we are back to square one.  AH haha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, in the last year, I have tried to create a more exciting environment but giving them a small outdoor cattery they could access through a window cat door (which none of them used during the 6 months it was up so I took it down about 4 months ago).  I also built them cat shelves which they use alllll the time.  So i dont know what other environmental enrichment could help.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @libacumo and welcome to TCS!

You certainly do all you can for your cats. it's lovely to see. 
I'm really surprised they didn't take to the outdoor enclosure.  Mine love theirs.  I'd be interested to know more about it.

The spraying is difficult.  I don't see a problem with keeping her downstairs when you know their will be changes around the place.  That in itself, could help.

How many litterboxes do you have and where are they? 

This is an excellent article that may help.  [article="32366"]How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi mani mani , thank you for your response. The outdoor enclosure wasn't huge but I thought they would like it. It was about 2' wide X 6' long X 4' high and had a few perches. The entrance was about 6" off the ground (inside) through a car door so they could come and go as they pleased (which apparently was never). I would put them out there a few times and they'd rarely stay long and never choose to go out. I gave it months then said never mind. The picture shows the initial setup and general idea, however I added more shelves. However the car shelves were a hit with all three cats, tons of vertical space. See picture.

Today I got motivated after posting and feeling guilty about confining her to a dark basement and penned her upstairs with her cat tree for 5 hours and she was great in there - stayed in her normal spot, groomed, fed her there. Again, see picture. And no even hints of wanting to spray. So I might keep that up for a bit so she can at least be in the main living area and any changes won't be so drastic. Because if she had full access she would litteraly be rubbing all over everything and spraying some.

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And litter boxes - 5 total - 4 downstairs and 1 main level. Two with pine pellet litter and 3 with clay. Always had pine pellet litter til the problems then added the clay boxes afterwards. Down stairs boxes are everywhere (ugh haha) and main level box is in a quiet corner. None are covered.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You're doing all the right things and then some.
  I'm amazed the outdoor space wasn't more of a hit, but you just never know, do you.

I'm really glad that it's working to bring her up into the pen.  She probably feels secure there.