Spraying and scooting

Tayznaga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Delilah, is approx 13 yo and was a stray until we adopted her. The vet believes she feels a surgical scar indicating she has been spayed. She is feline leukemia positive and has kidney disease. Here is my concern: every 2-3 months her behavior changes. My normally mild mannered kitty begins chattering and yowling, she scoots along the floor on her tummy, and she sprays. We thought it was constipation, but she is on a Miralax regimen. She eats minimally and has few bowel movements. She continues to drink and urinate. She seems to be behaving as if she is in heat. This behavior generally lasts for about one week. She seems genuinely uncomfortable.

if anybody has any ideas about this behavior I would appreciate the feedback. The vet has not been helpful. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. It sure sounds like she might be in heat. In rare cases, some of the ovarian tissue is left behind during spay surgery, so while a cat won't be able to become pregnant the remnant tissue continues to produce hormones, and heat cycles will continue.

I would ask your vet about the possibility of getting a hormone test done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tayznaga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. It sure sounds like she might be in heat. In rare cases, some of the ovarian tissue is left behind during spay surgery, so while a cat won't be able to become pregnant the remnant tissue continues to produce hormones, and heat cycles will continue.

I would ask your vet about the possibility of getting a hormone test done.
Thank you so much! I will ask about it.