Spraying- am I missing anything?

windycitymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have three cats.  Artemis, a neutered male, 1y7m.  Frieda, a spayed female, 1y8m.  And Milo, not neutered, 10 months old.

Milo has started spraying and pooping outside of the litter box.  His poop is normal, and he is healthy.  We are having him neutered in 2 weeks.  There have been no changes in his diet.  He is the most territorial and dominant of the three, and I think that is part of his spraying.  He sprays on piles of dirty sorted laundry and in baskets, and on my 4yo's bed.  Luckily it's a toddler mattress so I can just lysol it and wash the bedding.  He's been spraying in reed baskets so I'm also having to clean the carpet underneath them. 

Payday is Friday, so we're going to be getting a few things..:

-another litter box

-cat attract litter

-feliway refills (had the plugin to help Frieda when she first came to us- she had high anxiety and she has since become a sweet loving girl!)

-nature's miracle or equivalent

Am I missing anything?  Anything else that could help us out?

I'm going to be keeping him in the bathroom for the next week until he gets neutered, and probably after as well so the other cats don't bother him while he heals. 

I'm throwing a party at the end of December and it would be oh so nice for my house NOT to smell like cat pee!  I'm hoping to get the carpets cleaned also, but I don't want him to go on spraying..

Since he has reached sexual maturity, will neutering even help him?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and I just saw your intro in the New Cat's forum, so WELCOME to the site :clap::clap: I have posted a link for you to check out written by a very experienced member and might offer some helpful tips on Milo.
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered

Milo has reached maturity and that is why he is now spraying. Getting him neutered should stop the behavior. He is still young and hopefully it has not become a habit. I think keeping him confined is the way to go until a couple of week's after his neutering as well. And you want to completely and properly clean up any urine spots with an enzymatic cleaner. Here is an article on how to do that written by another very knowledgeable member.
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

Much luck with your boy :D :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited: