Spots On Bed

Pienacolada

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I adopted sweet Basil a few months ago, and for the 3rd time now (roughly once a month), I've found spots on the sheets where she sleeps. The spots look like dried blood, and sometimes they are the size of a nickel, but other times it is more like a spray formation. Basil is 8 months old, spayed, and has not been acting differently at all- she's just as happy, cuddly, & playful as ever. I don't necessarily think she uses the restroom more than any other cat, nor do I think she has difficulty/pain urinating, but I do have to clean out her litter box every 2 days because it's full. I've attached photos of what I'm seeing, thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't good. A trip to the vet would be the best idea. She could have a urinary infection or dribbling from the spay incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pienacolada

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This isn't good. A trip to the vet would be the best idea. She could have a urinary infection or dribbling from the spay incision.
A urinary infection was my first concern, as her incision is completely healed. Thanks for your insight.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could also be anal gland secretions, which is harmless to a cat but annoying to find on your sheets, etc and cleaning the stains. It's best to take the cat to the vet for a check up. Bring along the pictures of the stains as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The stain pic looks like when 1.) Feeby was having some issues with her anal glands, and 2.) Feeby was leaving a bit of poopy stuff on her bum and when she went to clean herself, the licking/moisture from her tongue would 'transfer' to what ever she was sitting on at the time. However, this was also at the time she was having a UTI. So, it could have exclusively been related to the UTI.

The droplets pic might be the same thing, but I never saw that with Feeby.

Feeby is a lot older than your cat (14+ yo) so her bum/UTI issues have been thought to be related to arthritis/weight/inability to clean herself properly. So, I doubt that is a contributing factor in your case.

For the anal gland issue, the vet checked her glands and was able to express just a bit out, but it was enough for the staining to stop. Some cats are prone to anal gland issues. This can be from either from 'genetics', soft poop, or even lack of cleaning properly. Normal, firm poops and grooming are the things that help with the natural expression of anal glands.