Spot Allergy test result

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At last thespian allergy test is out.
It's been 7 myths since adopting my engagement cat and have been plagued with ear infection such as yeast and water.
Allergy test came out.
She is allergic to chicken which we suspected of.
On top of she is also allergic to turkey, beef, novelty food such as rabbit and pork.
she is allergic to catfish and Bonito (type of fish).
Catch is she is not allergic to tuna, salmon, herring, kelp.
problem is when I tried for kibbles with fish or duck, the other ingredients like Peas, Sage, soy,rice are under the list as well.
my question is if the ingredient list Rosemary which is not in the list, but still fall under the Sage group (Lamiaceae grp)?
Does flaxseeds also fall under the Pea catogary?
My cat is very fussy on food.
Just tried salmon can food and she walk off as she favours chicken mor and can go who food.
So far have managed to feed her with Mackrel fish kibbles for now.
Will look at ordering duck raw food from a local pet food supplier for testing.
How long can I let my cat maintain her hunger strike if she does not take to new food?
can I alternate between raw duck diet and cheaper Tuna can food as to maintain 2 different food proteins?

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people say that food allergy testing isn't all that accurate :dunno: The most ideal thing to do is to feed a bland-ish novel protein diet. This is most easily achieved with a raw or home cooked diet. You can find more info on both types in the Raw and Home Cooked forum here on TCS.

Many cats won't eat raw or home cooked food right away so you'll need to do a slow transition and use toppers if needed.

Flax seeds are, well, seeds. Peas are a legume.

I would stick with just the duck for a good 13 weeks or so to see if it's helping the allergy symptoms. If you add in another protein, you won't know which protein is causing any allergy symptom.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with LTS3 LTS3 , the food allergies aren't very helpful, and there is no real "test" for food allergies. Do you have a vet? Perhaps they can give you a prescription diet for food allergies?

Or possibly a vet dermatologist?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The allergy test was recommended after we tried the food test. Apparently we noticed that dry food also contains peas which she is allergic, also novel like beef, rabbit and turkey also allergic which we have been feeding.
Is chicken fat considered part of chicken allergy. One site describe chicken fat as not allergic as it's not a source of chicken protein.
Is this true?

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Again you can't be too sure how accurate the food tests are.. They are highly inaccurate if you do a bit of research on them.

Only true way for food allergy testing is by doing the elimination diet prescription with the supervision of the vet or maybe another vet in this case.

Also, vet dermatologist

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds like an allergy test my mom took 30 years ago that said she was allergic to some degree to every food except 6. There are varying degrees of allergy (I've had it done myself). You can be 0 (no reaction) to 4 (massive allergic reaction). And even then your reactions can be different. I was told I have a level 3 allergy to eggs. Oddly enough, I can eat eggs in things (french toast, baked goods) but if you give me a fried egg, scrambled egg, omelet, etc) I get nauseous to the point of throwing up.

Right now one of my girls is on an allergy trial, 13 weeks on just rabbit, limited ingredient diet. The vet said a prescription diet, or if not (my other cat did not want to eat the prescription food when she was tested) then rabbit or kangaroo. The results are slow, we're not even a month in, and I'm impatient (plus she's not 100% crazy about the rabbit food since it's pate). BUT the smell of her stools is changing. It's still bad, but not as bad as it was before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.
One thing sure for sure is chicken, beef, turkey all still make itch on her face with ears dirty.
The problem with allergy test is that they say allergic to Bonito but not to tuna and salmon. Then mackerel falls under Bonito family etc. It's really crazy.
Tried feeding her commercial duck raw food and she does not want to eat at all. Not to mention she used to be on raw chicken before.
Tried putting some fish kibbles on top of the duck, she take very little.
Tuna cat can wet food , she ignore, but tuna dry treats she love.
Bought salmon kibbles and ordered venison freeze dried.
Heard cats cannot be left to go hunger strike but she do seem to be getting on my nerves.

Attachments

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was primarily giving Fancy chicken, beef, and turkey too. I actually avoid all fish, including fish oil, because Delilah, my other kitty, get stomach issues. When Fancy is being picky, I sprinkle some FortiFlora on top and she usually goes for it. FortiFlora is a probiotic. Sometimes to feed Fancy I have to make a gravy out of pate, mix it with kibble, then put on a spoonful of topper (all rabbit, all the same brand) and then if she's being fussy sprinkle the top with some FortiFlora.

My vet advised against duck because even though it's considered a novel protein, it's still poultry, which is why she suggested rabbit or kangaroo. My vet also said don't mix proteins. Just one protein for 13 weeks. Then if she's better I can add in another.

Have you considered lamb or venison? Koha has a LID lamb, and Lotus Just Juicy has a venison.