Sporadic litter box issue

coffee grinder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would love some help trying to figure out what's going on with my mother-in-law's cat, Muffin.  Here's the situation:

Background:  3 years old, former feral, been indoors only since April & seems well adjusted, tested FIV+ but otherwise in good health, last check-up & shots were in April when we brought him inside, lives with his brother & they get along great.

Litter situation:  3 litter boxes shared between 2 cats, Muffin always uses the same box, it's the one we used to litter train him, boxes are in a clean, quiet basement with plenty of space between the boxes

Issue:  About 1/2 of the time he poops outside the box.  He always urinates inside the box.  Sometimes he poops near the box, sometimes he goes in various other parts of the basement.  My mother in law constantly checks the boxes to make sure they are clean.  He will poop outside even when "his" box is clean.  Sometimes he poops inside the box even when there is urine present in the box.  We use World's Best Cat Litter.

Things we tried: we tried putting a 4th litter box in one of the areas of the basement where he pooped outside the box.  We always clean the soiled area with an enzyme based cleaner.  We discard anything that could absorb the smell like area rugs.  

Things we have not tried:  Dr Elsey's litter - we used this to litter train him in April.  My mother in law is elderly & she doesn't like cleaning the boxes with Dr Elsey's because she says its very dense & heavy for her to clean.  

Any ideas?  We could use your expert advice.  Thanks!

ruby6689

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does the litter box have a hood and door? I had to remove the door as my cats didn't like it.

I think I would try another brand of litter and see if that helps. I must say I have never heard of 'Worlds Best' here in Australia. I use one that is pelleted wood that has a natural odour control and breaks down when dirty. It last a really long time and I have never had a problem with my cats using it. I'm not sure if there is a similar product you could try.

Good luck, I'm sure there are plenty of members here that can offer solutions to your problem.