Spooky Kees Throwing Up

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i recently took both my cats to the vet for their first of the year checkup. My kitten was given all of her shots and treated for ear mites and dewormed.
My cat spooky has been throwing up a lot lately and pooping a lot. I talked to the vet about it, they examined him. I told them that I recently changed his food two times (from friskies to simply nourish back to friskies) and they confirmed that was most likely the culprit, but I recently have been giving him smaller portions and water and he still threw up a day after the vet appointment and pooped a great deal. I’m not sure what else to do. They didn’t offer to deworm him but I’m not sure it’s worms. He likes to eat and chew on things he’s not supposed to and sometimes it shows up in his throw up. He’s not lethargic but he does meow a great deal and I’m not sure if it’s because he’s in pain or not. I look at his throw up to see any worms and also his poop to see any and I never have. I’m really worried that something could be seriously wrong. Should I take him back to the vet and go from there?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding him wet or dry food? Are you free feeding? When you said you are giving him smaller portions and water, does this mean you are mixing water in with his food? And when you say he's pooping a lot, is it diarrhea, or simply a large amount of formed stool? Does your kitten actually have worms, or was that de-worming more preventative? I'm just trying to get the full picture here.

I would agree with the Vet in that it's probably his food, and possibly the change in food brought it on. He could have a sensitivity to something in one or both of the foods. Cats can develop this even after years of eating the same food or even the same protein. For example, they could eat chicken their entire lives, then suddenly they can't eat it anymore without problems. Not saying that's the issues, but it's possible. How long has it been since you put him back on his original food? If only a week or two, you might give it another few days, but if it's already been longer than that, you might try something else completely. But definitely CALL your Vet and tell them he's still having this issue. They might want to give you an anti-nausea drug for him. Not sure, but they might.