Spme may not consider this S.O.S, but they are driving me crazy!

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone who knows me knows that I love my 3 cat babies more than anything else- pretty much the only thing that makes me happy and sources of untainted, complete joy.. I am seeing all of these agencies and coalitions for dogs and cats online and I think that's great.. but there are none in my area. Due to unforeseen, unavoidable circumstances- I was unable to get 2 of my 3 babies spayed in time for their first heat cycles. This is not something I've ever let slip by in the past and now it has happened twice with them both in heat now.. one for the first and my other for her second. This is so opposite of the norm, but they are driving me up the wall. They both are churling and yowling almost 24/7 (their wannabe bf keeps spraying my porch and is a stray I feel too sorry for not to have admittedly feed once or twice). They are ripping up my carpet and peeing on everything! I cannot have this. I know it's my fault for not being financially stable at the correct time, but due to medical concerns of my own.. I cannot live dirty. My immune system cannot stand it. East Texas appears to be impoverished all over and none of the free or low-cost (like $30 and under) spay programs in my area are active this month or are actually still open from last year. PLEASE someone help me and point me in the right direction. I love them so much, but sometimes literally lock myself in the bathroom to not scream at them. It is not their fault and I am in need of immediate guidance... Please and Thank you.. M

Attachments

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat we didn't have fixed because we got her so late in life and we were told at the time that fixing her at her age could be bad for her, and she never peed anywhere but her litter box -- and she had a lot of 'gentlemen' callers outside! You might want to check and see if maybe there is something upsetting them/stressing them out that might cause them to not use the litter box? Do you only have one litter box? They look like friends, but cats are funny and sometimes don't like to share things like litter boxes -- maybe get a second one and see if that helps at all?

You also need to find an enzyme cleaner to clean your carpet with so that the smell doesn't keep attracting them to go in those specific spots though =(

As for spaying though, have you looked up any low cost places near you maybe? Or asked to see if any vets will do payment plans? There's carecredit, but I don't have that so I'm not 100% sure how it works =(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Meganms401 Meganms401 I've been there! :hugs:

Yes, female cats in heat will scream and pee in order to attract a mate. I'm sorry, there is really nothing to be done except get them spayed.

Will any of the vets in your area let you set up a payment plan so you don't have to pay for both spays at once? Try calling the Humane Society or the SPCA and see if they can suggest any cheap clinics in your area.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Meganms401 Meganms401 I've been there! :hugs:

Yes, female cats in heat will scream and pee in order to attract a mate. I'm sorry, there is really nothing to be done except get them spayed.

Will any of the vets in your area let you set up a payment plan so you don't have to pay for both spays at once? Try calling the Humane Society or the SPCA and see if they can suggest any cheap clinics in your area.
Oh, wow. I never had that issue with mine! But maybe it was because she was older? That's interesting to know though! Most of my cats have always been male. I've only ever had three females (not including outside stray kitties we took care of.) and two were fixed :3

Would maybe putting weewee pads down where they commonly pee help maybe? Or does it tend to be more sporadic?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried calling every animal shelter/group in the area? Some of them have donations they can use to help with costs. Or try posting in pet groups on Facebook and see if anyone can help. Or, yeah, try to work out a payment plan with a vet, some are willing to help. Or if you can borrow money from anybody, this is something that's worth borrowing for. Because if they get pregnant it will cost more than a spay, plus your sanity is worth something too!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol! Not all cats pee or spray when they're saucy. That's a nice blanket statement paired with several others surrounding heats; basically they're all dramatizations made to fear monger owners into fixing their pets. Fixing your pets isn't wrong inherently, but spreading downright misinformation and using fear tactics to achieve a response is laughable and not helpful.

Due to finances and housing specter hasn't been fixed yet has never in her almost three year life..
*had a health problem
*missed the litterbox ever
*gotten pregnant
*gotten sick or hurt
*escaped
*acted-out aggressively unprovoked
*or any other of the dozans of stereotypes associated with not being spayed.
* or.. ruined furniture, etc, or peed outside her litterbox. And I walk her on a leash almost daily at that.

Of course you SHOULD spay, again, duh, but spreading blanket statements and stereotypes won't help. Just because 30 people say something and you had a few experiences doesn't make your case concrete.

Onto this though, there is no way to stop the moaning or clingyness.
However, the male cats you're feeding are probably posing a BIG problem. Stop interacting with them and actively deter cats around your home. You can look up ways to do this online. NO cats should be around the property and you should NOT have any other cats smells on you.

You need to have patience and understanding for your cats as well. Try not to stress them out by reacting to their odd behavior, don't punish them. This isn't their choice and you should actively baby them when they're in heat and try to make them comfortable and stress free to your best ability.

Multiple females in heat in the same place is probably your biggest issue here though. It's a recipe for disaster, however, obviously you can't do much about this. Perhaps crate them at night, as much as I hate crating; 2 large seperate dog cages with toys and necessities would be alright in my opinion when you can't monitor them or when they're in heat. Confining them to seperate rooms is better though. Somewhere easy to manage ideally with hard flooring for obvious reasons.

Also, this is gonna sound harsh maybe, but clean up your house and pay attention to the boxes. You should have multiple if your cats are free roaming the house, especially in social areas like the living room where many different scents are present. And should be mantained daily. Any debri, clutter, clothing, and stuff should be put away into crates boxes or bags. If your cats are peeing on things, put the things away/protect the things until this issue is resolved. Plastic line your couch; put any not in direct use laundry in a bin or plastic bag or some sort. Peeing on the plates? put the plates in a bin when not in use. Peeing on toys? Bin the toys when not in use. Peeing on the bed? Plastic cover. Peeing/ruining the floor? Cover the floor. I don't deal with this issue but it requires workarounds if all else fails from my understanding.

Last edited:

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe not, but an awful lot of them do. That's how they advertise their availability to the opposite sex. It's entirely natural, just not something most humans care to live with.
Never did I claim it the occurrence is impossible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never did I claim it the occurrence is impossible.
My home is clean and as free of untidy mess as I feel any person can be moving into a new place. They peed in my purse and on my tablet pillow the first day. I do not punish them- hence going into another room when frustrated. As I have said repeatedly- I know this is not their fault, but my own. I have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes. I know I should have one more because the general rule is 1 box per cat + 1, but mine get along fine with having their own. I MUST keep the boxes in daily check or my transplant team would have a fit seeing as I restrictions around fur-children. I've only thrown out scraps for the outside Tom (only 1) twice and that's because it is winter and I did not anticipate this situation. Now, I keep a jet-squirt bottle on my porch to deter him, but he is persistent as my girls are the loveliest of lady cats around. Seriously, he was sereinading them at my bedroom window last night everytime they calmed down even slightest bit. I have hardwood floors and am keeping them out of my bedroom if I am not present.

I hate the idea of kenneling my babies, too and it would kill me to listen to them cry, but as it is they are crying almost non-stop anyways. I did not know to separate them. Thank you for that tip. Seems cruel though because they are pretty much inseparable and making them even more uncomfortable at my own fault compounds guilt. I may have to anyways. I have called the shelter in Mineola and I guess they don't exist anymore (their website only shows events for 2019). I can afford the special going on in Denton, but am not a Denton resident... Frustration.

From what I have read online, there should be a couple of weeks in between heat cycles at least. My first darling only seemed to have about 4 or 5 days in between. Is this normal? Also, are they just uncomfortable/saucy/in heat or do these cycles cause them actual pain? Reading mixed answers online and they sure sound like they're in pain. Urinary tract infection is ruled out because they only started the peeing about 2 days after clearly being in heat.

Thank you for your replies and help trying to get us through this situation quickly and calmly. Your suggestions will most likely help until I can change the situation. Much appreciated. M

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I have read online, there should be a couple of weeks in between heat cycles at least. My first darling only seemed to have about 4 or 5 days in between. Is this normal? Also, are they just uncomfortable/saucy/in heat or do these cycles cause them actual pain? Reading mixed answers online and they sure sound like they're in pain.
I'm not sure how we could determine actual pain, but...the instinct to mate is incredibly strong, and what they are is, without any doubt, FRANTIC. I have a feeling, and this is just a guess, that it may be like an intense itch that only one thing can relieve. If not actually painful, then certainly crazy-making.

If you will PM me with your location, I'll happily do some digging and see if I can find some resources for you in your area.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
My home is clean and as free of untidy mess as I feel any person can be moving into a new place. They peed in my purse and on my tablet pillow the first day. I do not punish them- hence going into another room when frustrated. As I have said repeatedly- I know this is not their fault, but my own. I have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes. I know I should have one more because the general rule is 1 box per cat + 1, but mine get along fine with having their own. I MUST keep the boxes in daily check or my transplant team would have a fit seeing as I restrictions around fur-children. I've only thrown out scraps for the outside Tom (only 1) twice and that's because it is winter and I did not anticipate this situation. Now, I keep a jet-squirt bottle on my porch to deter him, but he is persistent as my girls are the loveliest of lady cats around. Seriously, he was sereinading them at my bedroom window last night everytime they calmed down even slightest bit. I have hardwood floors and am keeping them out of my bedroom if I am not present.

I hate the idea of kenneling my babies, too and it would kill me to listen to them cry, but as it is they are crying almost non-stop anyways. I did not know to separate them. Thank you for that tip. Seems cruel though because they are pretty much inseparable and making them even more uncomfortable at my own fault compounds guilt. I may have to anyways. I have called the shelter in Mineola and I guess they don't exist anymore (their website only shows events for 2019). I can afford the special going on in Denton, but am not a Denton resident... Frustration.

From what I have read online, there should be a couple of weeks in between heat cycles at least. My first darling only seemed to have about 4 or 5 days in between. Is this normal? Also, are they just uncomfortable/saucy/in heat or do these cycles cause them actual pain? Reading mixed answers online and they sure sound like they're in pain. Urinary tract infection is ruled out because they only started the peeing about 2 days after clearly being in heat.

Thank you for your replies and help trying to get us through this situation quickly and calmly. Your suggestions will most likely help until I can change the situation. Much appreciated. M
Hm, is there something that you can sprinkle outside that might be off putting to male cats? I'm not familiar with anything so I don't know if such a product exists but maybeif it does it could help?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Don't blame yourself though =/ Just focus on solving the problem. It's easy to see you love your babies!

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm, is there something that you can sprinkle outside that might be off putting to male cats? I'm not familiar with anything so I don't know if such a product exists but maybeif it does it could help?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Don't blame yourself though =/ Just focus on solving the problem. It's easy to see you love your babies!
Thank you!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's hard to deter a tom cat if there are females in heat plus the chance of an occasional meal. I feel for you Meganms401 Meganms401 I don't like to think of them going hungry either.

Are there any TNR groups that could help you trap and neuter the tom cat and maybe recommend a cheap spay place for your girls too? Type the name of your town and TNR into Google and see what comes up.

Not all female cats spray things when they're on heat, but some do and it sounds like your dealing with some of the ones that do. Don't worry, they're not in any pain. They're just being driven crazy by their hormones.

:hangin:

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
DFW area in the middle between Mineola and Denton has many with active low cost clinics, mobile or brick/mortar. Residents have fully subsidized programs, non-residents still get the deep discounts ($40-55 spay). Vaccines are included with some, or low cost additions to surgery. FeLV/FIV testing and microchip implants are also low cost at most of these clinics. All services - Spay Neuter Network Spay and Neuter - DFW Humane Society https://texasforthem.org/servi ces/spay-neuter/cat-spayneuter/ Low Cost Vet Care Services | Dallas Pets Alive! If you box trap the tomcat, most of these orgs have a feral TNR program listed for free or less than $15, including neuter and rabies vaccine.

Regarding their mating behavior as in-tact queens, it's all normal, as others have assured you. It can actually be worse, as we've witnessed in some cat hoarding seizure cases with multiple queens in a home. Toms get a beating when confined and cannot escape after mating. Urine spraying, inappropriate urination, mating calls, loud vocalizing that sounds pained/distressed, hyperactivity, reduced appetite, are all normal during the 9-10 day estrus. Estrus can recur every 2-3 weeks during mating season, especially if an in-tact male in the vicinity, inducing their ovulation. Rough to get through if you are unfortunate to have the highly reactive cats and a tom around to be sure. My empathy is with you. Not a scare tactic or fear mongering, plain common that many cats do escape indoor only living when motive-blind with their need to mate. That's hormones affecting behavior we find difficult to control. Box trapping the tomcat yourself to deliver to a TNR program/clinic or calling animal services to collect him is reasonable while you seek a spay option. He's a nuisance by animal control ordinances even if you didn't have queens in the home. Review he's detrimental to your property, noisy, and disruptive; no need to share about your own pets. He'll benefit from neuter and vaccination while abroad your neighborhood, and you'll benefit by not having him induce your girls' estrus every 2-3 weeks.

VCA's article is your situation to a T. Estrous Cycles in Cats I know you are miserable, but the parallels were so on point, I laughed. Way to be understanding and patient with your caterwauling queens

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm not aware of anything non-toxic I could sprinkle, but great idea! I am now looking

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DFW area in the middle between Mineola and Denton has many with active low cost clinics, mobile or brick/mortar. Residents have fully subsidized programs, non-residents still get the deep discounts ($40-55 spay). Vaccines are included with some, or low cost additions to surgery. FeLV/FIV testing and microchip implants are also low cost at most of these clinics. All services - Spay Neuter Network Spay and Neuter - DFW Humane Society https://texasforthem.org/servi ces/spay-neuter/cat-spayneuter/ Low Cost Vet Care Services | Dallas Pets Alive! If you box trap the tomcat, most of these orgs have a feral TNR program listed for free or less than $15, including neuter and rabies vaccine.

Regarding their mating behavior as in-tact queens, it's all normal, as others have assured you. It can actually be worse, as we've witnessed in some cat hoarding seizure cases with multiple queens in a home. Toms get a beating when confined and cannot escape after mating. Urine spraying, inappropriate urination, mating calls, loud vocalizing that sounds pained/distressed, hyperactivity, reduced appetite, are all normal during the 9-10 day estrus. Estrus can recur every 2-3 weeks during mating season, especially if an in-tact male in the vicinity, inducing their ovulation. Rough to get through if you are unfortunate to have the highly reactive cats and a tom around to be sure. My empathy is with you. Not a scare tactic or fear mongering, plain common that many cats do escape indoor only living when motive-blind with their need to mate. That's hormones affecting behavior we find difficult to control. Box trapping the tomcat yourself to deliver to a TNR program/clinic or calling animal services to collect him is reasonable while you seek a spay option. He's a nuisance by animal control ordinances even if you didn't have queens in the home. Review he's detrimental to your property, noisy, and disruptive; no need to share about your own pets. He'll benefit from neuter and vaccination while abroad your neighborhood, and you'll benefit by not having him induce your girls' estrus every 2-3 weeks.

VCA's article is your situation to a T. Estrous Cycles in Cats I know you are miserable, but the parallels were so on point, I laughed. Way to be understanding and patient with your caterwauling queens
Thank you for the sound advice and being supportive.