Splitting Up Cats While on Vacay

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with keeping their cats separated while on vacation? I have a 2 week vacation coming up and our cats are on 2 different foods. Typically when we're gone we let the cats free feed so we don't need someone to come over multiple times a day. One cat is all about food and our other one is more picky. The one into food would most likely eat the lion's share - if the other one would even eat the food at all. Does anyone else separate their cats while away? Do they seem distressed by it?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would not recommend this. You will likely have to reintroduce them to one another upon return. This can take weeks to a full year.

They would also likely be distressed by the separation as well.

It would be best if you can have someone come to feed them and keep them separate during that time. I've done this. I've also had my friend without pets take my cats while I'm away to her apartment, which they loved.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Best not to separate them or take them out of your home if at all possible. If your cats are microchipped, they could have separate feeders that will only open for each respective cat. You could even set up each in a different location of the house to help out with that.

If you can't find a stay-in-home sitter, perhaps you can find a neighbor, family member, friend who would be willing to come in your home and 'take care of business', along with some visitation time? You can always have more than one so that none of them are having to visit multiple times a day.

Do you know about some of the tricks to help with them dealing with your absence? Things like worn, unwashed clothing of yours left out in places they like to hang out so that they have your scent with them while you are gone. Baby-cams to watch over them while no one is there. Some folks even use things like Skype with their cat caretakers so they can see and even talk to their cats.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might just be the specialness of my group but I've never had recognition issues in my group. We've had one cat missing for 4 days then at the vet for a week immediately after, one cat hospitalized for a week and a half, and all three cats boarded for a week in separate kennels. Plus the occasional overnight vets visit for one or another. In all cases, they are fine after and other then smacking the cone on someone wearing a cone no problems.

In your situation, I think separating at home by putting them in different rooms would be traumatic but more in the whole access being cut off to comfort spots and hearing the other yowl about the same trauma. If the cat who eats less has a space they can access that the other can't (I have one cat who can get on top of a dresser but the other two can't jump as high for example) you could put some food for that cat in that space. You could also create a private space with a large tote and microchip cat door installed in its side (or use a closet and plywood to create a temporary space). If you can train one of them in time, that would create a space where food for the lighter eater could be.

Although, I think my realy question would be do you *think* one will eat all the food or *know* one would eat all the food? My cats free feed but we recently started just putting out enough food for the daytime because they need to loose weight. When the food bowl is full they all eat throughout the day. But none of them scarf down all the food before someone else can eat any. Assuming you are having enough for a day put down, I don't think one cat would eat all of it before the other could eat any. One might eat less than normal but for a two week trip i would imagine the worst is someone looses a little weight and someone gains a little. Unless you've had that experience and know it can happen.

Really though, I would say the best option is to have someone come by more often to feed them if it is something you are worried about. Or split it between two or three people you trust to come by at different times if it is too much for one person. Or take my paranoid route of boarding for trips (which I do because if something medical happens I want my cats with their vet and to not put that on someone else to notice).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We were thinking we could have them swap spaces a week in so they have the access. Our past pair of cats free fed (one being into food and the other not as much). You're right that the fat one got fatter and the skinny one maybe skinnier but they both still got food (the important part). Our new picky eater is VERY picky - so much so that we're taking her to the vet to make sure she doesn't have health issues. I was looking at a microchip feeder box (similar to what you mention with the tub+RIFD) - have you used something like that?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We were thinking we could have them swap spaces a week in so they have the access. Our past pair of cats free fed (one being into food and the other not as much). You're right that the fat one got fatter and the skinny one maybe skinnier but they both still got food (the important part). Our new picky eater is VERY picky - so much so that we're taking her to the vet to make sure she doesn't have health issues. I was looking at a microchip feeder box (similar to what you mention with the tub+RIFD) - have you used something like that?
I have a microchip door to the house, mine uses their implanted microchips so no collar required. They work pretty well for my purpose so I don't see why it wouldn't work for a tote. Although I'd be more inclined to convert a closet space using a piece of plywood to mount the door in. Just because of stability. We actually do something similar with my cat who can jump where there is a room in our house that is his quiet space. At the door we have a wooden box too tall for the other but short enough for him (roughly 5 feet). He can jump on it and down the other side to go into the room but the other two can't. The box itself is wide enough on top for him to land and I can still open the door to go through it. Kind of like a wide and tall doorstop. I wish I had a picture but I don't right now. But something similar that is sturdy enough for the door to be mounted in, too tall to jump but movable might work on a closet or bathroom or even shower or bathtub entry way.

I also have one I thought was a picky eater but she just doesn't like to be watched eating. That was an expensive (but worthwhile) check over by the vet.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If they eat both wet and dry food I would have the cat sitter feed them wet and leave out a big quantity of dry food for free feeding. Yes, one might eat more and they might gain a bit but it’s only two weeks and it seems like,the least stressful thing for them.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no issues with free feeding - wish I could! Just one is on hydrolyzed protein (HP) food - other food gives him non-stop diarrhea. The other cat doesn't like the HP food.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use microchip feeders. Fancy is on rabbit only due to stomach issues but she can have fish oil in her food. Delilah will only eat chicken or turkey... unless the food is in her sister's bowl - but she can't have fish oil. Also Delilah will clean out both bowls if given a chance. The microchip feeders keep them out of each other's bowls.

I splurged and got the "connected" version, which sends me messages when they eat and gives me peace of mind. Fancy doesn't always eat right when I put the food bowl out before I go to work. The feeder sends me a message each time she goes to the food bowl plus the amount she eats. Using it, I discovered that Fancy is a grazer. She can go back 5 or 6 times. Delilah will eat it all in 2 or 3 sittings, then go back and lick the bowl 3 or 4 times. When I had to go to Houston for a week, my friend came in and fed them. I was always sure when they were eating.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! What brand feeders do you use? I'm leaning more towards leaving them together but that'd mean we'd have to get a feeder soon so we can train her to use it before we go.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How often is someone coming to the house? I was thinking if you could get someone twice a day to feed them, they could come in the morning, feed separately, then let them be together all day then separate at night and leave food out for them both to graze on (or visa versa with the day/night thing.) I did in home pet sitting years ago and twice a day was nothing, it was much worse with dogs who needed to go outside much more often!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we've come up with a potential solution! I was looking at the Meowspace but not sure it would be ideal. But, I think we might install a microchip cat door in our spare bedroom. At night or when we aren't home we'll close that door so Birdie can get to her food in there. It also gives her a safe space to retreat to in case he's getting too wild and play-attacking her. Would probably put a litter box in there too.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think we've come up with a potential solution! I was looking at the Meowspace but not sure it would be ideal. But, I think we might install a microchip cat door in our spare bedroom. At night or when we aren't home we'll close that door so Birdie can get to her food in there. It also gives her a safe space to retreat to in case he's getting too wild and play-attacking her. Would probably put a litter box in there too.
Excellent idea, especially about the box too.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! What brand feeders do you use? I'm leaning more towards leaving them together but that'd mean we'd have to get a feeder soon so we can train her to use it before we go.
I use the SurePet Feeder Connect. I like being able to track when they're eating and how much. I've heard there's another brand out there, but I haven't tried it.