Splitting a pill

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a problem. In my country, prednisolone comes in 5 mg pills only and they don't have a splitting line to make things easier. We will have to go down to 2,5 mg in 2 weeks and I tried to cut the pill in half but the parts come out uneven each time! I went and bought a pill cutter, but even with it the pieces are slightly uneven and some of it crumbles.

I'm assuming that the dosages has to be very exact with a medication like that, so crushing it and trying to make two piles is also not the best method. I've also tried with a razor and the pill just crumbles. I have shaky hands in general which doesn't help. Any ideas how to split the pill evenly?? I'm starting to panic. There are no smaller dosage pills here, I've asked at the pharmacy. In Sweden we had 2,5 mg pills that were easily splittable. What am I going to do? Heeelp :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X2WFLF2/?tag=thecatsite

I don't know if you can get something like this or not. However, I do know what you mean as I had to split a tiny pill for Jamie with his cardiomyopathy and I basically just did the best I could. I tried to even out the doses so that if one was a little smaller than the next one was a little bigger to add up to a full dose.

Ask the vet about giving an uneven piece and how critical that is. Hopefully someone has a better idea.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It’s a challenge, isn’t it! Try taking your razor blade and gently, lightly scoring the pill a bit at a time, over and over, keeping the blade level and pulling it toward you. Once you get to a certain depth, you might be able to snap the pill in two.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been cutting Pepcid AC. It is not scored. The dose is 1/2 tablet. I do my best, with a pill cutter to get even pieces. Sometimes the pieces are not even.

I have some empty gelcaps, size 3 and 4, which I try to fill in the appropriate dose of 1/2 tablet. I use needle nosed tweezers to fill the gel cap.

I got the gel caps on line, from Amazon.
If you are using probiotics, you capfuls empt the probiotic into your baby’s food, and save the gel cap for the prednisone.

At least that is what I would do.

Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the tips!! Will try them out

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know prednisolone.…..I miss my baby and feeling sad…
When I gave my sweet beloved cat Louie the pill, I also used a pill cutter.
Best advice to give a medicine, I used a pill pocket to hide an actual pill for taste and then (since my genius cat didn’t swallow a pill pocket covered pill), I prepared for syringe with canned food juice only. Usually gravy sauce (not pate) cat canned food has lot of juice. I mixed a little bit water and juice and put it in 3ml or 5ml syringe.

First, I let him swallow a pill pocket covered pill then I immediately give him a syringe by edge of mouth for him to swallow pill and juice together.
This works in miracle.
any sensitive, smart cat will swallow a pill Easily Because they don’t feel bitter taste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know prednisolone.…..I miss my baby and feeling sad…
When I gave my sweet beloved cat Louie the pill, I also used a pill cutter.
Best advice to give a medicine, I used a pill pocket to hide an actual pill for taste and then (since my genius cat didn’t swallow a pill pocket covered pill), I prepared for syringe with canned food juice only. Usually gravy sauce (not pate) cat canned food has lot of juice. I mixed a little bit water and juice and put it in 3ml or 5ml syringe.

First, I let him swallow a pill pocket covered pill then I immediately give him a syringe by edge of mouth for him to swallow pill and juice together.
This works in miracle.
any sensitive, smart cat will swallow a pill Easily Because they don’t feel bitter taste.
Sorry about your kitty :(
Musiaka is very good at taking pills actually. I just place it deeper in his mouth, close it and blow on his nose. Follow up with squirting some water into his mouth with a syringe.

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your kitty :(
Musiaka is very good at taking pills actually. I just place it deeper in his mouth, close it and blow on his nose. Follow up with squirting some water into his mouth with a syringe.
We will see again in heaven some day so I’m just having his photo cushion by me always. It just looks like him.

That’s good if he swallows easily.

My vet said it doesn’t make a big difference with tiny pieces of pill.
I tried to put all remaining powder into pill pocket to not lose any.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I split a lot of pills for my husband. Take your time when aligning the pill. Oblong ones are the worst, they must be perfectly at right angles to the top of the 'v' in the razor blades. The most important thing to do with a tiny round pill is to make sure it is pushed up and tight as far as it will go into the v of the splitter. If it is loose at all, that is when the unevenness happens. Make sure your splitter is new, most pharmacies will give you one for no charge, so the blades are very sharp.