Splashing/tipping Water Bowl

MsPrudence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Albus and Sylvia both enjoy splashing their water bowl around a bit, but in the last couple days it's become an actual issue. Albus keeps tipping/digging/splashing every drop out of the gallon size bowl we keep in our room where they stay most the day. He's completely emptied it 3 times in the last few days, and they spent at least a couple hours at one point with a bone dry bowl and soaked carpet. The bowl gets scrubbed every week, completely changed out every other day, and has been splashed immediately after being cleaned, so it's not a freshness issue. I really think he just does it for fun, and because it's fun for both of them to smack the wet carpet afterwards. :crazy:

We've already been thinking about getting a tip-resistant bowl, but that still leaves the issue of him digging/splashing (and occasionally dropping cat nip toys in it to drug the water, but we don't keep those toys in the room anymore :sweat:).

Does anyone have experience stopping this behavior, or know of a water bowl designed to prevent this? A smaller water bowl is not an option, as both of them will dig all the water out of that just for fun. They are some wild and kooky cats!
:banana1:

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can't manage to get them to stop, and cats can be very stubborn when they've found a fun activity, the best thing you can do is to place the tip-proof water bowl on a large rubber feeding mat.

If worse comes to worst, you might try a Lixit-type watering system.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Place the bowl in a shallow tray or even a shallow storage container to contain splashes and spills.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all good suggestions above. My first thought was they are bored, and this is something to do, its as you said, fun. Are they locked in this room during the day?
Do that have a window they can look out? maybe a bird feeder to attract some wild life for them to watch? Cat tree by the window so they can clime up and watch some "cat tv" out the window? Or can you let them have access to more of the house during the day?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't stop. This is instinctive behavior from the wild, where cats needed to brush leaves and debris off the pool of water before they drank. My Mingo does the same thing. The only thing you can do is get a fountain, then they will drink from the spout without splashing the water.

Or, keep the toilets very clean and let them drink from those. Mingo prefers the toilet, and he hasn't gotten sick from it yet.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sweet well behaved boy was playing hockey with his water bowl! How did I stop him? I cracked and bought him a fountian. One that has steams since he loves running water. I can finally pee in peace half the time!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
My sweet well behaved boy was playing hockey with his water bowl! How did I stop him? I cracked and bought him a fountian. One that has steams since he loves running water. I can finally pee in peace half the time!
Why only half the time? Are you cats trying to drink from the bathroom sink too?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Place the bowl in a shallow tray or even a shallow storage container to contain splashes and spills.
That, too! Even better, or a fountain, as others have mentioned!

Or, keep the toilets very clean and let them drink from those. Mingo prefers the toilet, and he hasn't gotten sick from it yet.
That's Hekitty's preferred "watering hole." My theory is that it mimics the position they would drink from at a stream bank in the wild. LOL, I clean my toilet A LOT, and refer to it as "cleaning Hekitty's water bowl."

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else's cat prefer to drink from the bathroom sink faucet?

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Max has been doing this since he was a kitten. He won't drink out of a bowl unless he can stand on it. I got a fountain for him and he can stand on it and not tip it over. JC drags the fountain across the floor when she is displeased with the quality of the water.