Spinal Lymphoma

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, but decided to join since I frequently check threads for advice. I have 3 cats. My boys are still kittens and around 9 months old. My girl is about 4 or 5 years old.

A recent visit gave me some much needed insight on my poor baby girl who has been limping around the house for a few months. She was diagnosed with an aggressive cancerous legion that wraps around her V9, V10, and V11 on her spine. It's a bleak situation. Surgery is not an option as the tumor is already disintegrating her spinal cord and growing at a rapid rate. Chemo was not given as an option either as spinal tumors generally do not respond to chemo.

I was told to expect paralysis and to consider euthanasia once it occurs. I'm crushed. Toothless (my cat) is only 4 years old. She's a very young cat. I hate that seemingly there is no way to help her beat this.

She is on prednisone and wears a fentanyl patch. Her appetite is healthy and it seems like she is gaining some much needed weight now that her pain is being managed.

I'm seeking advice. Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel terrible just sitting back, not giving her a chance to beat her cancer. Thank you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, I'm so sorry to be reading your thread.  I, personally, have no knowledge about your situation, but can certainly see why surgery doesn't seem viable

Perhaps there is someone out there who has some experience and will reach out to you.  In the meantime, did you talk to your Vet about radiation, since chemo doesn't usually respond.  Is it possible that radiation might give her more time....is this something you would want to put her through?  I did read a little on HUMAN spinal tumors, and read that radiation can "reduce" the size for pain management.  I honestly didn't see anything about it  eradicating the tumor
  Of course, I'm sure it depends on exactly the type of cancer it is too.

Again, I'm so sorry she is going thru this.  (you too)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet didn't mention radiation treatments, but since we go to the vet every 5 days to have her patch changed I can ask about it. The impression I got from the vet is that Toothless's tumor is kind of rare and is highly aggressive. I think that they are under the assumption that the spine will be destroyed before any treatment could begin to shrink the tumor.

Having said that, I've also read stories about miraculous events where fur babies beat all odds. People have used special targeted diets, medication, any means possible to save their pet's life. I think I owe it to my girl to give her a fighting chance. Yes maybe euthanasia will be a merciful kindness, but one bad year in say ten is worth it. I won't give up until she's ready to and I can see in her eyes, that she's trying.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. Also, I'll be asking about radiation and if she's a good candidate.
http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/I...ads/P_20160329_140410_BF_zpse2qfx8n9.jpg.html

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous girl Toothless is! I'm so sorry you both are going through this!

Are they any major university veterinary schools near by? If you do, it may be worth getting a second opinion.

As with all things, weighing quality vs. quantity of life and if the treatment is harder on them than the disease.

You are a loving cat guardian and Toothless is lucky to have you caring for her. Just want you to know that you have a lot of support here at TCS to help you during this tough time! :hugs: