Spinach dip question

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been happily making spinach dip for years, the kind made with dry vegetable soup mix.  Today, I was reading the recipe on the back of the soup mix packet and saw something I'd never noticed before. The directions said to cook, cool and drain the spinach before adding it to the mix.  I've always just thawed, rinsed and drained the frozen spinach straight from the box.  I've never cooked it.  And I almost always read the recipe by habit, even if it's something I know by heart.  

Have I been skipping an important step for years?  I've never cooked the spinach and everyone loves the dip.

If you make spinach dip, do you cook the spinach? 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't cook it. I use frozen spinach, well-thawed and well-squeezed in old hand towels for dip. You don't have to cook it. I would guess if you used fresh spinach, then you'd have to cook it first? But as Willowy said, frozen spinach is already cooked. No need.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't made it in ages but my two sisters do for holidays.  Both never cook the frozen first.  It's always yummy.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had never thought of cooking it, I thought it was already cooked.  I haven't used it in ages.  When the kids were little I used to add it to some things as a way to sneak in more vegetables.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm adding spinach dip to my grocery list. Thanks! 

The only reason I can see for cooking would be warm spinach helping things blend?  I suppose it would still be cold but thawed if you thaw it in the refrigerator.  I don't think it's necessary either!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, all!  You know, I am convinced the folks at Knorr changed the recipe.  

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The recipe on the package is using fresh spinach, which you would need to cook first. If you are using frozen, just thaw and add because it's already cooked, hence the severely wilted look ;)

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I never have cooked the spinach only thawed and squeezed dry.
I made this Knorr dip this past christmas and for the first time I noticed they stated frozen chopped spinach, cooked, and squeezed dry.
I swear knorr changed the recipe also.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The only spinach dip I've ever made is a spinach and artichoke. You end up sauteing the spinach with garlic, etc. and then add cream cheese, parmesan and a few other things, so I guess I do cook it a bit.