Spilling all of the water out of his bowl :(

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wednesday I left at 6AM to drive with a friend of mine to Georgia to see her son (who is in the Army) off to his first post in California. I was gone all day Wednesday and Thursday, I finally got home at 1:30 AM Friday morning. I noticed all of Zeus' water was gone....I remember thinking maybe my son forgot to give him water, so I filled the bowl. His water bowl is a heavy ceramic bowl that holds about 4 cups of water.

When I got up later Friday morning I noticed his bowl was empty again.....then I noticed the water on the kitchen carpet (I have a small area carpet over the white kitchen tile). So I filled it again - yeah duh, I guess sometimes I'm a little slow about catching on to what's what. This time when I got home from running errands I noticed his water bowl was nearly empty and he was soaked.

What the heck?

This morning I put his smaller metal bowl with water and once again he spilled it all over the floor......what do I do?

He needs water right?

Has anyone else had this problem? Help!

<-- Bad boy!

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Super common problem!

You will need a solid based heavy dish, so even though he will likely continue to move it, it won't spill out.

It seems they can't see the water level easily, so they scoot it with their paw to make the water move, and if it's the type of dish that can be spilled, it will be.

Of course the best remedy is to get a fountain with the water always moving for him, but not always possible so one that is hard to spill is best.

One with color seems to help too.

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you want a nice inexpensive fountain, we have been very happy with our aqua cube from Walmart for 19.99 and he filters are 5.50 for 4 of them. We have 6 cats and never a spilled drop of water so perhaps the movement of water is key! When we first got the kitties we tried bowls of water and they just stared at them like there was nothing there. I never thought of he fact that they may not be able to see it! By the way, Zeus is adorable :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I will look into getting him a fountain.

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay! Glad he's taking to it! We actually got a second one for the other side of the kitchen so we don't have conflict for drinking time! (That's what happens when there's six of them). [emoji]128520[/emoji]