Spider bite? Collar irritation?

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sisters kitten - 8 months - has suddenly developed this under her neck. Could this be a spider bite? Or a bad bad reaction to the metal on her collar? Has anyone seen this before? She is waiting for her vet to have an appointment open up but she is considering going to an emergency vet. She hasn’t show signs of nausea and she’s still her normal self.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It very well could be some sort of skin irritation from the collar. How long has this kitten been wearing it? Can your sister send these pics to the vet to see what they think - perhaps that might get her in for an earlier appt? Or they may be able to recommend some at home treatment until she can be seen.

In the meantime, you could try using chamomile tea bags - any of the grocery store brands should do as they are almost always German (you don't want English, or any flavorings or additives). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and dab it on that area 2-3 times a day with cotton balls or a soft cloth. The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. It is also safe should she somehow ingest any of it.

Keep her inside if she does go outside - at least until this is resolved. If she shows any additional signs that could be concerning - swelling in the area or if it is spreading, for example, or any issues with discomfort, then you might want to have her see an ER vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I did have a cat react to a collar years ago, and it was ugly, but it was in a more or less straight line where the collar was. I would watch it and try for an appointment asap. I wonder about the roundness of this and the specific location...but that might have to do with how the collar was constructed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the vet gave her antibiotics and a wash and sent her home. She seems to be fine lots of energy. The vet didn’t believe it was a bug bite!