Spicy Pepper, The Rude Cat

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our household went out of town and when we got back, there's a tiny tortie kitten in our yard. We took it in and brought it to the vet to treat for worms and fleas, etc. Vet said she's 3 months old, has flea and worm issues, but otherwise healthy.

My mum calls her Pepper because she's spicy. And by that I mean hissing, batting with claws, biting, very food territorial. That kind of cat.

It's been a while since I took in a new cat- almost a year (Peaches is over 1 year old now! She's blossomed to a very affectionate cat) so I'm not sure if it's normal, being this feisty. She doesn't appreciate being handled at all, but would sometimes sit on my lap. When I pet her as she sits on my lap, she would claw on me and bite (not a nip, but a bite that scars).

My mum often loses her patience but I don't want to. I want to help Pepper get socialized and get along with our older cats, and get along with us too.

I have an idea to keep her confined for a while (with exercise time, of course) so she learns that food will come to her and she doesn't have to steal from our other cats. I hope this would solve her confidence issue. Is this a wise idea? Is there any tips?

It's only been a week since we started with her, btw. Should we give her more time and follow her pace?

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama has pretty much told you everything I would have, and given you all of the links I was thinking of as I read your post. But I will add that, yes, this will take a considerable amount of time, and yes, Pepper will need to set the pace here. But it is very doable.

Although this isn't purely informational, I think you will enjoy it.
Adopting A Stray Cat