Speck Of Blood In Kitten’s Eye

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This post is really just because when it happened, I looked for information online and was horrified by the results I got (hyphema, FIP) and I couldn’t find any posts on this site or others about what it means when you see a tiny bit of blood in your kitty’s eye.

Terrence was scratched in the eye last night, probably by Marcel while they were wrestling. I noticed a tiny bit of blood in his eye, sort of floating in front of the iris. The area around his eye was slightly swollen and he was squinting a bit.
I called up my new cat-only vet and they said it didn’t sound like an emergency and booked me for a morning appointment.

The vet put dye in his eye to see the puncture and said it was healing up great. As long as it didn’t get infected and he didn’t paw at it, everything should be fine. She gave me antibacterial drops and said she wanted to check on him again Monday.

So - if this happens to your kitty definitely don’t wait to call the vet because eye problems can get out of hand quickly! If you see some floating blood in the eye (it moves around - the older the wound the harder it will be to see because it sinks to the bottom of the eye) it’s likely a scratch on the cornea. As long the wounded eye is not swelling bigger than the other and your cat is not messing with it (cleaning excessively or scratching) you do not need to bandage it and it is not an emergency. But call your vet immediately and describe the symptoms to get an opinion! Don’t try to clean the eye out until it has been examined. My vet said Terrence was very lucky.

Here is a not-so-great picture because he was squirming around:
DDF866BC-3B15-4810-A7BF-B2D4B7BE9A8A.jpeg

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True! A scratch to the eye could tear through the cornea and cause an infection in the eye or damage to the delicate aqueous humor layer in the front of the eye or, if deep enough, the iris. Blood in the eye most likely indicates a broken blood vessel, which can be minor or could indicate something more major. Eventually, due to the bodies natural abilities, the blood located in the eye will disappear, kind of like how a bruise disappears after a while.