Special Kitty Cat Litter

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jade is very picky about the kind of litter she will use. If the clay pieces are not very fine she will just drag stuff into the box and use that to go on instead. We have tried organic litter and non clay litter with the same results. We finally found the Special Kitty Scoopable fragrance free for sensitive cats and she has been doing well with that. The problem is, I can only seem to find it in the one size, and seeing as she just had 8 kittens about 3 weeks ago, they are going to start going through the litter much faster soon. Can someone recommend either where we can buy bigger amounts of the litter, or something very similar? I'm in Missouri if that helps, about an hour east of St. Louis

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the Special Kitty in the big 40 pound green box at Walmart, but it's scented. If she will only use unscented, here's a list of unscented clumping litters:
Tractor Supply Paws & Claws (in 40 pound Red/Blue box or 25 pound purple bag)
Target Boots & Barkley Fragrance Free
PetSmart Grreat Choice Long Lasting Fragrance Free
Petco So Phresh Advanced Odor Control Fragrance Free
Fresh Step Unscented Extreme
Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Fragrance Free
Frisco Fragrance Free from Chewy.com

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been happy with the store brand at PetSupplies Plus and the store brand at my regular grocery. However, I find inconsistencies. Some boxes seem heavier grit and some boxes seem to be a lot finer with more dust. I imagine a huge vibrating hopping filling boxes on an assembly line (regardless of brand). The vibration would push heavier particles downward and lighter particles would tend to "float", so I don't know that there is a brand where the particle size would be completely consistent. Perhaps some of the more expensive brands are able to specify the size of the clay particles.

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy the Special Kitty in the big 40 pound green box at Walmart, but it's scented. If she will only use unscented, here's a list of unscented clumping litters:
Tractor Supply Paws & Claws (in 40 pound Red/Blue box or 25 pound purple bag)
Target Boots & Barkley Fragrance Free
PetSmart Grreat Choice Long Lasting Fragrance Free
Petco So Phresh Advanced Odor Control Fragrance Free
Fresh Step Unscented Extreme
Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Fragrance Free
Frisco Fragrance Free from Chewy.com
I use the same kind! My cats love it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Special Kitty is the Walmart brand. I looked on their website and it appears that the unscented variety comes only in the 14# jugs. Can you try the scented kind? I've found that the scent is actually very light. Unfortunately, it is dustier than the unscented kind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what exactly she likes more about this litter then any other. I'm pretty sure it's the size of the pieces. I think I'm gonna try to get smaller bags of different stuff, see if there is something else she might accept. I just don't want to buy a giant bag/box of something and she decide she doesn't like it and then I'm stuck with a bag of litter I can't use.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest a smaller, second litter box for the kittens with non clay, non clumping litter. Kittens at first try eating the litter, just like babies, everything goes in the mouth first. I always used Worlds Best for my kittens until they got used to using the box.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you live in Houston you can take my Worlds Best. I cannot stand the smell so I was going to trash it