Spaying soon - best alternative to e cone?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please no suggestions that I use nothing, I know specters gonna try to pick at it; she picks at everything.
Would this work? I know there's one on chewy but it's too expensive. Spec can't have anything on her neck (no, not even those soft; plush or blow-up cones) but I need something to keep her off her stitches when spayed. :ohwell: A suit is the most reasonable but I can't dish out 30$ for one. Help? She's going to be spayed probably later october; sooner the better.I have the money for the OP saved up and stashed away for this but I want to make sure there are as little bumps in this road as possible.I'm stressed and worried about this as it is.

TO this, also, I am looking for a large dog cage to keep her in for the first day; but unsure where to start looking.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask your vet about that? I mean it looks okay, but I'm not a vet and I adopted Krista post-spay.

The dog crate is going to cost you $$$. Honestly, I don't think she'll be all that interested in getting into trouble those first days. But again, my cat came to me post-spay so don't quote me on that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many of our member have used the recovery suit with great results. You can, if money is a real issue, use a baby onsie as well. If you check Youtube for "putting baby onsie on a cat" you'll find SEVERAL videos.

C.S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used a suit when my dog was spayed, found on amazon £18 for a dog one. Imagine a cat one would be cheaper due to size .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh I'm late! Thnk you all!

Can you ask your vet about that? I mean it looks okay, but I'm not a vet and I adopted Krista post-spay.
I wish! We're out in the sticks, and the vets seem..........Well, southern. Not great. Their advice isn't much better than what you'd get on the internet. I just want them to do the OP and be done with them, people round here in this state are a bit.. slow..lol

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to be negative, but I will add that the suits are not for every cat. One of my girls had an op on her tummy on 1st Oct so I decided to go for the recovery suit rather than a collar as I felt it would be really good for her - she'd be able to eat normally, have freedom to move about, but not get to her tummy.

She absolutely and totally hated it.

Before we'd even got back from the vet she had taken it off, so we put her back in it. She was lethargic, very quiet, not toileting, and would just lie rigidly in the same position all the time in her cage, on her side with her legs out straight. If I lifted her out for cuddles she would stay in the same position while being held, where normally she would squirm round all over the place. (The wound was checked and her temp etc all totally fine as I was worried about her behaviour).

Went back for post op check and after a chat with the nurse, who knows my cats well, the suit came off and she went into a collar - totally different cat after that. Eating, moving about, using her tray, and shouting - lots of shouting lol.

I really hope the suit is a good option for you and your cat is OK with it, but be prepared that it might not be the case. Good luck!! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A human baby onsie, fitted to the cat and researched like stated above, would be the least expensive. You could get on Facebook and see if anyone close by would let you borrow/rent a cage temporarily. I have one sitting in my shed right now! Call your local shelter and see if they would loan you one, but if you get a used one, spray it down with diluted bleach and rinse. A small room, like a bedroom/bathroom can be used to keep her confined too, most cats lie still and hide for a few days post surgery. If she doesn't, that means she is getting along fine! PS don't expect results in the litter box for maybe a few days, anesthesia causes a slowing down of the intestines.