Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Spaying My 11 Month Old

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by Alioki, May 26, 2019.

  1. Alioki

    Alioki Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

    2
    0
    May 26, 2019
    So! I've read several threats on this site about spaying. And you get a bunch of self righteous people saying they're is no reason not to spay your cat, pyometra, it's irresponsible and selfish...

    Last year, November 2018, my Ashera didn't seem right. She just laid down all the time. She had been going to vet for checkups and getting her vaccinations.. I noticed her nose and gums were white. This was never mentioned at any very visit +she had been two weeks earlier). A pcv showed her RBC count was at about 5. They were shocked she was still alive. After two transfusion and a new doctor, my baby girl is well with a normal RBC and hemoglobin count. While fighting to keep her shove she had a battery of test that lead to the concussion that's it's immune mediated hemolytic anemia. Hey immune system was destroying her blood cells. The doctor things it was likely a reaction to get last vaccine- fvr combo. She is doing well now and down to 1/4 of a 5mg prednisolone every other day, with monthly pcv test.

    I also need to had she had a great murmur, more than likely for to get body trying to keep up with lack of blood cells to transport oxygen. The doctor said it's no where near as noticeable now and some visits she doesn't hear it ar all

    Back to my post, now she is in heat. This is her second estrous. I'll not sure what to do. Right now my baby girl who I wept over, who I had doctors tell me it's best to put her to sleep, who I prayed and begged Jesus for and spent nights sleeping in my car at the emergency vet is running and playing. She is tiny. 6lbs but she doesn't look like it and she doesn't eat much. The doctor said likely it's from the prednisolone and the disease in general stunting hey grown and she wont grow any bigger. We just make sure her weight stays constant.

    As you all know, the prednisolone weakens her immune system. Which leaves me afraid to spay and afraid not to. Because of her conditionc thet price will stating at $400. The very had this section that you put a dollar amount on how much money you will put to life saving attempts of they are necessary. I've cleared my savings for all the bills last year and the beginning of this year (i stuffily decided to wait until she was spayed before adding her to insurance-i found her at work in August so I only had her for 4 months, but then this happened so no one will cover her). What if I end up liking her just to spay her? If the argument is cancer or infection, isn't that anyone? I have breast and uterine cancer that runs in my family, should I have my breasts and uterus removed for a what if?

    Has anyone else been thru this? I could use sound advice.


    Shera today, mucus membranes nice and pink
    IMG_20190420_153725929_HDR.jpg IMG_20181208_101707_846.jpg
    Shera after her second transfusion in January
     

  2. GalaxyGirl

    GalaxyGirl TCS Member Adult Cat

    226
    164
    Jul 26, 2018
    I guess the issue is female cats aren’t like dogs and can go into heat 2 weeks after not being mated with. So she could have a heat twice a month. They can also get an infection of the uterus from not mating. :(

    My smallest cat from my litter is now 15 months and is due for a spay in 3 weeks. She was underweight and very sick when I found her. I worry too. But I trust my vet.

    It’s too risky to leave her intact if she’s never going to mate and that not a good idea just to keep a cat from getting sick...

    So I’m not really helpful but I’d get her fix.
     
    ArchyCat purraised this.

  3. jen

    jen TCS Member Top Cat

    7,590
    1,996
    Dec 27, 2001
    Hudson, OH
    ...add overpopulation....

    Call me self righteous but that is exactly why 99.9% of cats should be spayed or neutered. There are ALWAYS exceptions, there are always special cases and there are sometimes illnesses that prevent you from doing that. You are very aware of what is wrong with your cat, and very aware of the risks of not spaying. I don't know that there is a right answer for you. Know that no matter what, throughout her life, your cat will need a vet more than most cats, know that the treatment for Pyometra is an emergency spay. Know what you are up against. Be aware. Do yearly bloodwork on this cat. Don't skip. If and when the bloodwork is normal, than decide with your vet if you should proceed to spay her or not.

    I think that is the best answer I can give.
     

  4. Willowy

    Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

    21,725
    11,892
    Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Work closely with the vets. See what they recommend for her individual circumstance. As you realize, her immune system being how it is also raises her chance of pyometra, and an emergency spay would be a lot more dangerous (and expensive) than a routine spay at a time carefully chosen by her vet.
    This is OT, of course, but, yes, many women who find out they have the BRCA gene do choose to have their bits preemptively removed (after having children, if they want any kids).
     
    carebearbaby1 purraised this.

  5. Alioki

    Alioki Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

    2
    0
    May 26, 2019
    I'm sorry if I come off as disrespectful, but I really only wanted people who have gone thru imha. That's why I added 'anyone who has been thru this'. The heart murmur itself was an issue for the anesthesia to do the transfusion.

    And for the self righteous ones, my cats go outside in a fenced in yard and only with supervision. All her stockings are spayed or nuetered. I don't let her out at all when she is in heat. So kittens are not an issue.

    My doctor can't guarantee me anything. It's risky either way. That's why I came here to get advice from people who are going they the same experience as I am right now.

    *siblings not stockings. Whups
     
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019

  6. jen

    jen TCS Member Top Cat

    7,590
    1,996
    Dec 27, 2001
    Hudson, OH
    You arent likely to find a whole bunch of people who have gone through this exact thing. But some of us are techs/assistants who have worked in vet clinics and can only give our best advice. You have a rare situation and I think as long as you are being responsible and working along side your vet you will do what is right for the cat. You let her outside supervised in a fenced yard, I might try to harness and leash train JUST to be safe. A cat with her health issues getting pregnant would be really bad for her and also not anything you want passed down to a new generation.
     

  7. EmersonandEvie

    EmersonandEvie Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter Alpha Cat

    651
    723
    Jul 25, 2017
    Middle Georgia
    Could you discuss the possibility of a keyhole spay with your vet? Your circumstances certainly are unique, and I have no experience in this field, but it *may* be another option. Less invasive than a traditional spay and the risk of pyometra is diminished like a regular spay. I wonder if, since it's only the smaller incisions, it would be better for your immunocompromised girl.

    I had never heard of it (apparently it's more popular in the UK?) but when we had 3 of our semiferals spayed, this was the technique they used. It has a faster recovery time and supposedly less discomfort/pain than a full spay.

    Links:

    Laparoscopic Spay for Dogs and Cats | petMD

    WARNING: This link shows a step by step of the procedure. The pictures are not graphic/gruesome but are medical in nature.

    How is a Keyhole Spay performed?
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.