Spaying incision

jennyrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I am in need of having my nerves calmed slightly. Although my cat seems fine I'm panicking.
She was spayed yesterday and when my husband picked her up she had a huge incision about 15cm long along her abdomen, from looking online this seems a bit excessive. Plus she is only a tiny cat. We have just moved to a new country so used a vet that was recommended not our usual vet.
Is this normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little bit but she is snuggled on her belly at the moment on top of a pillow so probably not the best time to check.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but this doesn't look normal to me. The incision looks very swollen on both sides. I think you should call your vet and/or send the vet that photo.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look normal to me. Some of the redness may be razor burn and/or betadine stains, not necessarily an infection. But that's a very large incision and the way it bulges around the incision looks strange.

How old is she? Is there any chance she was pregnant?

jennyrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's around 10 months old, not sure exactly as was abandoned as a kitten. No way she was pregnant unless she has learnt how to unlock doors and sneak out while we are sleeping, wouldn't put anything past her though.
She has been eating happily and other than a bit stiff and extremely skinny she seems ok. It just looks huge to me, I'll try to take a better pic but I feel bad hassling her at the moment.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I'm just going to hope that the redness is mostly razor burn (that's a real hack job of shaving! Hope it was a new vet tech and not how they normally do it). But keep a very close eye on it, look for leakage or angry red color. That area will feel hot just because it's shaved, but if there's an infection it'll feel extra hot. Call the vet right away if you think it's getting infected, she'll need antibiotics.

Last edited:

jennyrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do feel like they have butchered her slightly.
Poor kitty cat, am keeping an extremely close eye on her.
Thanks

siamnaco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg, it looks like it hurts. I'm supposed to take my 6 mo to be spayed in a couple of weeks. This makes me want to cancel the surgery.

jennyrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I'm more stressed than her though, she is currently chasing her tail around a box after I have spent the last hour stopping her jumping on bookshelves etc. As long as you aren't using the same vet we did I'm sure it will be fine. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, it looks like it hurts. I'm supposed to take my 6 mo to be spayed in a couple of weeks. This makes me want to cancel the surgery.
This is not what spay sites normally look like. Even if there is nothing wrong with this cat, it's certainly red. Please don't cancel. It's the best decision for your cat and she will be back to herself in no time.

siamnaco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear this picture isn't a typical incision. Makes me feel better about having her spayed. I think she is probably in the beginning stages of a heat cycle because she tries to make a mad dash outside whenever we open the door.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear this picture isn't a typical incision. Makes me feel better about having her spayed. I think she is probably in the beginning stages of a heat cycle because she tries to make a mad dash outside whenever we open the door.
Make very sure to keep her in! If you need to have her behind a closed door when someone opens the outside door, put that into effect.