Spaying A New Stray (cost And Other Questions)

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

A stray feline joined our household (showed up on the doorstep) last week. She was checked out by the vet and is probably 8-9 months old. In a couple of weeks we plan to get her spayed. Since it has been 20 plus years since our last cat. I wanted to see what I needed to ask about. The price quoted was a little more than $500.- That seemed extremely high but like I said I have nothing to compare it to. It is in the Philadelphia area. I liked the vet and plan on going back for other things.

Are their adoption shelters that will do it for less? I will keep the kitten afterwards. She is naturally the cutest, best and everything in between. A tad on the thin side at barely five pounds but seems to be adjusting well otherwise.

Other than price, are there any questions I should be asking? Would it make sense to chip her at the same time? I hope she will want to be an inside/outside cat but I will leave that to her. If I had been abandoned I certainly would never want to go outside again.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Phillyman

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can call around to other vets and ask what they charge for spays (make sure to ask what's included) to get a feel for the average price in the area. There may be a low-cost clinic in the city too. Call shelters and rescues to see if they have recommendations.

Yeah, I'd recommend microchipping her when she's spayed. It can be done any time but if you can do it when she's unconscious at least nobody has to worry about her wiggling while they're trying to inject it.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you call your local no-kill rescue, they will likely be able to give you some information on low cost spay. Most packages here (low cost spay) include rabies and first distemper vaccinations. Vet services here are high but low cost options run about $100-$125. However, please do be aware that some low cost clinics increase the fee as the cat gets older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good ideas, I'll call around. I did get rabies and distemper done by the vet. I'll look into it. Thank you, Philly

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had Trina spayed at Delaware Humane Society in Wilmington 2 years ago. They charged an additional $15 because they said she was in heat.
Total spay + chip was $80. My vet estimate was $400.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had my little girl spayed in December. Spay w/ bloodwork plus microchip was $190.00 at the local Humane Society, which seems higher than most organizations of this type as reported on this board.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've looked around and the prices REALLY vary. I also struggle with the preop visit most vets want. I believe they are trying to be sure that the cat is healthy enough but the spay clinics charge the same amount as vets do just for the preop. I've decided to go to the humane society and double their rate. It will still be cheaper and they get a donation as well.

Thanks for the advice

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had my little girl spayed in December. Spay w/ bloodwork plus microchip was $190.00 at the local Humane Society, which seems higher than most organizations of this type as reported on this board.
That is because most low cost clinics or humane societies don't do bloodwork. The fact that your did is great! But also means the price is higher.

I've looked around and the prices REALLY vary. I also struggle with the preop visit most vets want. I believe they are trying to be sure that the cat is healthy enough but the spay clinics charge the same amount as vets do just for the preop. I've decided to go to the humane society and double their rate. It will still be cheaper and they get a donation as well.
That is exactly why they require bloodwork. It is good to do the preop bloodwork at the vet especially if your cat is older. Most humane societies spay and neuter without bloodwork so it is a lot cheaper.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
P phillyman : Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Thanks for giving the stray kitten a home. :catrub:

TCS has some articles on spaying/neutering that should answer most of your questions.

BTW, do you have a picture of her? :camera: We love pictures here. ;)
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

You can also introduce yourself, and your new kitten, in our New Cats on the Block forum.

Here are the article links:
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery