Spayed kitty issues

nissie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So I ended up with two cats.

First one I already had; it's a male, he is 1 y/o and a few months. He is not fixed. Now, before you throw stones, I WAS planning on fixing him, but:

1) He is scared of the outside world. Never tried leaving the house. Runs away from the open door.

2) Sprays inside his litter box. Then hides it.

3) When I got my non-spayed female (semi-rescue), he showed no interest in her whatsoever. We kept them apart, but her heats were silent and he really didn't give a crap.

So I kept putting neutering him off.

What I did, though, is take my female to the vet to get spayed. We also discovered she had pyometra, poor baby, although she showed no sign of it (she's 10 months old, I never even thought she could get that so young).

She came back yesterday. Suddenly, he is interested in her. Suddenly, he will RIP his way to her. So we keep them apart, as per usual.

But now, he WON'T SHUT UP.

He will YOWL and SCREAM.

ALL DAY LONG.

ALL NIGHT LONG.

Needless to say, he is scheduled to get neutered next Tuesday.

But in the meanwhile, how do I shut him up?? Any ideas? 

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is very common for unneutered male cats to yowl and go after female cats. Even after being spayed, it may take a little while for hormones to completely change. While she can't get pregnant anymore she may still give off a scent which can attract an unneutered males. There may be other scents on her since she was at the vet too. Once he gets fixed most of this should resolve and you shouldn't have to keep them separated ( but I probably would until then).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's not much you can do until he is neutered.  She still has some of her hormones and he may smell them.  Also it takes a few weeks for his hormones to settle after neutering so don't expect his behavior to completely change right away.  It can take 3 weeks or more. 

I would keep them separated until he is neutered so he doesn't pester her.  I am sure next Tuesday cannot come soon enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nissie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sure next Tuesday cannot come soon enough.
It definitely can not. He is killing me. He's been discovering new vocal ranges since we came bak with his friend. Making the ugliest yowls I have ever heard.

I can't sleep!