Spayed a week ago, clear secretions from anus. What could it be??

VegaKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got my 11 month old kitty spayed a week ago. She’s healthy and the spay went perfect. She has a cone on 24/7. She’s eating and drinking plenty and is urinating and defecating normally with formed feces no diarrhea. Today I noticed some clear liquid coming from her anus and I’m thinking it’s her anal glands? I don’t know. I’m not sure if I’m just an over reacting cat mom or if theres something wrong. I just took her to the ER two nights ago because I thought she had opened her incision a little. She jumps even when I try my best to get her to be calm and quiet. They said everything looked fine and then took her to her primary veterinarian and he said she’s healing perfect but then I noticed the clear secretions coming from her anus. Any one else have any experience with this happening with their kitty after spay? I’ve been at the vet so much within this past week and I don’t want to go if it’s just me over reacting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Would they allow you to send that photo in so they can talk to you about it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be concerned as well. I think this is something that can wait until tomorrow when you can call the vet. If possible, email them them image.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi VegaKitty and welcome to the forum !

First, if there were to be discharge from the anal glands, it wouldn't be clear.......and, believe me, your nose would know! :crackup:

Now, the whole digestive tract and colon is constantly producing mucous and mucous is also coming from other areas in the body....so, there's plenty inside there. If she were to pass some air, it's quite possible that some mucous would be expelled too. (a "wet one" :flail:)

Here's a post I wrote to someone else who suddenly noticed a quantity of mucous at the end of a bowel movement: My Cat Poops Mucus - please help.

There's a link inside there from a reputable site that explains what's going on inside those hindquarters. (most folks don't have a clue!)

I wouldn't have any concern........doesn't mean I wouldn't be watching for anything really unusual, though.

Hoping that may ease your mind......and, when you have a moment or two......could we have some pics of her other sides? :lol:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooooooooooooh my ! Just precious !

I'm so happy I asked for pics !

If she were here, eating normally and pooping regularly, I wouldn't be concerned. Remember, that almost 24-hour fast and the recovery period would have thrown off her system's schedule. It may be that she's not yet quite back on track.....so there might be a few pockets of "air" pushing their way through.

Enjoy life with her!

Did you know there's a special thread just for black cats ?