Spay/neuter With A Laser?!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Fayola hasn't even given birth yet but I'm just exploring my options for when it's time to have her fixed. Has anyone ever heard of spaying by laser before? I found a clinic near me that does this. I don't see much information about it online though...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few of my boys got neutered using a laser. I don't know exactly what it all entails but I have heard that it's less traumatizing to the tissue which encourages better healing. It was also done on boys, so I'm not sure about girls, but I would assume it has the same benefits.

I found this on a vet website.

The Advantage of Using Laser Technology for Spaying & Neutering

Many prefer to use laser spay and neuter technology to perform the surgery. Precision is increased and there are other advantages including:

• Fewer incidents of infections occurring as a result of the surgery. Laser beams have a sterilizing effect that eliminates bacteria and other microorganisms.
  • Less pain for the animal as laser beams seal nerve endings while cutting through tissue.
  • Blood loss is drastically minimized as laser beams cauterize when they cut through tissue.
  • Quicker recovery time as a result of all the above factors.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laser surgery is considered safer than traditional surgery as pointed out above. I have heard there is also less scarring, but as I've not had any laser surgery done on any of my Cats I can't say for sure either way.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Less bleeding, less bruising. Possibly a lower chance of infection. Potential for burns if the vet isn't experienced. There are a few vets in Sioux Falls who offer it so I've looked into it. I don't think I'd ever pay the extra amount for laser for a routine neuter, or a spay on a younger cat. I would consider it for an older female spay though, or for tumor removals.

So, yeah, in her case it might be worth it. Older females seem to have a hard time with spays, and anything that can ease that is beneficial.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Less bleeding, less bruising. Possibly a lower chance of infection. Potential for burns if the vet isn't experienced. There are a few vets in Sioux Falls who offer it so I've looked into it. I don't think I'd ever pay the extra amount for laser for a routine neuter, or a spay on a younger cat. I would consider it for an older female spay though, or for tumor removals.

So, yeah, in her case it might be worth it. Older females seem to have a hard time with spays, and anything that can ease that is beneficial.
Thank you. This is what I was thinking about since she's a senior.