Spay Inscision

Rrjr09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning. I’m new here. I’m also new to cat care post spay. My cat got the procedure done on Monday and it’s now Friday. She’s very active and it’s been hard to keep her down. She’s got an e-collar and we’ve kept her in a kennel because all she wants to do is jump and run. Her appetite is back. Anyway, her incision looks a bit scary. I’ve called the vets office but they won’t give me a straight answer. They want me to take her in. I’ve read a lot of posts on this website and i feel like it’s healing normally but i also feel like it isn’t. I’m just concerned. Can i get some feedback from y’all? There’s no discharge, bleeding or foul smell. It was redder and more swollen yesterday but that has gone down considerably.

Attachments

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning. I’m new here. I’m also new to cat care post spay. My cat got the procedure done on Monday and it’s now Friday. She’s very active and it’s been hard to keep her down. She’s got an e-collar and we’ve kept her in a kennel because all she wants to do is jump and run. Her appetite is back. Anyway, her incision looks a bit scary. I’ve called the vets office but they won’t give me a straight answer. They want me to take her in. I’ve read a lot of posts on this website and i feel like it’s healing normally but i also feel like it isn’t. I’m just concerned. Can i get some feedback from y’all? There’s no discharge, bleeding or foul smell. It was redder and more swollen yesterday but that has gone down considerably.
It doesn't look good imo, but I'm certainly not a vet. It's so hard to tell. :( I'm in the same position with a kitten 5 days out of spay surgery, and from her incision site, it's not red or yellow and you can barely see it when she's sitting. Maybe it's a different kind of incision tho? I'd probably take her in, just to be 100% sure.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also think you should take her back to the vets. To me, the wound looks partially open and could be susceptible to infection.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. We have an article on Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery that also includes some pictures of normal and infected spay incisions. So maybe you could take a look at those.

However, to be sure, you would need your vet to take a look. Can you email your picture to them?
:yeah: Good article and love the Updates to it! :sunshine:

Another vote from me to take her in for a vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rrjr09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I took her back to the vet. Turns out the inscision was getting infected. The vet said the bottom inscision is already healing and closing from the inside out and, in her opinion, didn’t need to be resutured. She came home with antibiotic ointment and medicine.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad you took her back in! It did look like its opening up. im a bit surprised the vet didn't glue or re-suture her, but then im not a vet. I would keep a close watch, and if not closing up and healing like you think it should then back to the vet we would go. Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery! :vibes: