Spay incisions

myeffect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

hope it’s ok to post this and that I’m not breaking any rules.
I have two beautiful girls who I got spayed on Thursday. The first night I tried 4 different cone solutions on them (hard plastic, soft fabric, inflatable donut, inflatable donut WITH collar) and they absolutely would not keep them on and kept thrashing around with them/refused to stay still. I ended up taking them off and they went to sleep for the rest of the night and most of the next day.

I’m just hoping to get some advice. I know surgical suits exist but im confident they would be too small for many of those and that they would Houdini their way out of those, too. They don’t seem to be messing with their incisions too much and they are using the litterbox normally, sleeping, being affectionate, and eating/drinking.

photos attached. Do these look like they’re healing normally? I can provide more photos if needed.

first two photos are day 2 & 3 for one cat, second two photos are day 2 & 3 for second cat.

I am happy to take them in to get a recheck if necessary, just wanted some advice / opinions on the photos and your experiences.

thanks!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm not a vet but they both look good. Continue to keep an eye on things, but I think you're ok for now 👍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myeffect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm not a vet but they both look good. Continue to keep an eye on things, but I think you're ok for now 👍
Thanks!! I appreciate it :) I have been checking them at least twice daily. A bit concerned since I’m at work today.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. It's been a long time since I dealt with a spayed cat - 16 years! But, unless I don't know what I am looking at, it seems to me the incision has opened in pics 1 & 2? It doesn't appear otherwise problematic, but maybe send pics to your vet and ask what they think.

myeffect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. It's been a long time since I dealt with a spayed cat - 16 years! But, unless I don't know what I am looking at, it seems to me the incision has opened in pics 1 & 2? It doesn't appear otherwise problematic, but maybe send pics to your vet and ask what they think.
Hello! It has been scabbed over so I’m afraid to touch it and dislodge the scab, but it’s not actively bleeding or seeping anything and it isn’t red or warm to the touch.

myeffect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: this is kitty #1 tonight. Can’t tell if she looks worse or better. She grumbled at me a little when I rolled her onto her side, but otherwise acting normally.
0B546253-E8BB-46A5-8DE5-1F666A75E8D2.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It still looks like it's healing ok in that picture, but how are things with the two of them today?

myeffect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It still looks like it's healing ok in that picture, but how are things with the two of them today?
Hi!

kitty #1 has a big scab over the area it looked “open” in the previous photos. It’s brown and crusty but doesn’t smell bad and no pus. She growled a little when I turned her onto her side to look at it, so I wonder if the stitches are healing and she’s just a bit sore?

kitty #2 isn’t showing any discomfort. Photo of her incision here:
1409598A-B456-4DF9-B4EA-66FCB1D724C3.jpeg

myeffect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking good 👍
Do you think the growling is cause for concern? They were given an injection for pain after surgery (Thursday) and no additional doses.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They've never been cranky about being handled like that before? She might be sore, you're right, and since there's no swelling, redness or oozing, although I'm not a vet I think things are going well.

myeffect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They've never been cranky about being handled like that before? She might be sore, you're right, and since there's no swelling, redness or oozing, although I'm not a vet I think things are going well.
They don’t love their bellies being touched normally unless offered 😂

but she is normally a very sweet, mild mannered girl. My other kitty is the feisty one. I think I am probably just being paranoid, I want to make sure their healing goes well!!