Spay Incision

LisetteMarie72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My 6 month old was spayed 6 days ago. Her incision has been looking great, but today I noticed a small hole, and the outer area looks a bit dry. No blood or puss, and no signs of any discomfort. Does this look ok, or should I call the vet? She’s been confined to one room, but still extremely active. And has been wearing a cone since surgery.

Thanks!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have her checked out. It looks like she did have some drainage from the site. This may indicate an infection. It is often hard to tell whats going on underneath. My little white cat had the same thing, they had to clean the site, a few times :( It can get very bad without the cat showing you how sick it is. mine still ate, drank and played like crazy, but she was actually very sick. I would take her to the vet as soon as possible. Best of luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LisetteMarie72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
9181A76F-FE1D-43C3-86D9-F7BF7A1BA7FE.jpeg
I would have her checked out. It looks like she did have some drainage from the site. This may indicate an infection. It is often hard to tell whats going on underneath. My little white cat had the same thing, they had to clean the site, a few times :( It can get very bad without the cat showing you how sick it is. mine still ate, drank and played like crazy, but she was actually very sick. I would take her to the vet as soon as possible. Best of luck
Thank you for responding! It looks a bit better today, but I still have a call into her Vet just to be sure. Waiting to hear back. Thanks again for your input!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 220061

Thank you for responding! It looks a bit better today, but I still have a call into her Vet just to be sure. Waiting to hear back. Thanks again for your input!
good! its just hard to tell whats going on under the surface. I would much rather error on the side of caution and have the vet look at her to make sure. When my cat was going through her problems with the spay it never looked really bad, to us, just didnt look good or right to me. My husband kept saying wait, its fine.... lol i didnt wait i took her in, 3 different times, and there was infection, reaction to the suture materials, and disheasion. She had to have surgery 3 more times :( A spay site should be clean and dry, no seepage or separating. Good luck with your girl.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
To me, it looks okay. However, I'm looking at a picture. Your vet can look up close and lay hands on. If you feel concerned, it warrants a call to the vet. Hopefully the vet will just check it out and say it's no big deal. But if it is, you've done the right thing.

LisetteMarie72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
good! its just hard to tell whats going on under the surface. I would much rather error on the side of caution and have the vet look at her to make sure. When my cat was going through her problems with the spay it never looked really bad, to us, just didnt look good or right to me. My husband kept saying wait, its fine.... lol i didnt wait i took her in, 3 different times, and there was infection, reaction to the suture materials, and disheasion. She had to have surgery 3 more times :( A spay site should be clean and dry, no seepage or separating. Good luck with your girl.
Oh no, your poor baby to have to go through that. I too rather be safe than sorry. I spoke with the Vet, we are taking her in to be looked at just to be safe.

LisetteMarie72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To me, it looks okay. However, I'm looking at a picture. Your vet can look up close and lay hands on. If you feel concerned, it warrants a call to the vet. Hopefully the vet will just check it out and say it's no big deal. But if it is, you've done the right thing.
I have to say, it looks worse in the pictures than it does in person, but we will take her in to have the Vet take a look just in case. It concerns me because the incision was just fine and looked perfect up until yesterday. :-(
Thanks for your input!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, it looks worse in the pictures than it does in person, but we will take her in to have the Vet take a look just in case. It concerns me because the incision was just fine and looked perfect up until yesterday. :-(
Thanks for your input!
Good. Let us know what the vet says. Best luck!

LisetteMarie72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good. Let us know what the vet says. Best luck!
The Vet says it’s not infected, just irritated. Willow has managed to find a way to lick herself with the cone on. She cannot reach the incision site, but the cone is rubbing against the incision when she licks. They said cold compress from time to time today, and warm compress tomorrow. They also suggested getting an inflatable “donut” cone from the pet store, that way there will be nothing rubbing against incision when she licks, which can eventually cause an infection. Hoping this works!

Thanks again for all the help!!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very glad for you guys that its not an infection! Hopefully she will be all better soon! let us know how she is doing :)

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Vet says it’s not infected, just irritated. Willow has managed to find a way to lick herself with the cone on. She cannot reach the incision site, but the cone is rubbing against the incision when she licks. They said cold compress from time to time today, and warm compress tomorrow. They also suggested getting an inflatable “donut” cone from the pet store, that way there will be nothing rubbing against incision when she licks, which can eventually cause an infection. Hoping this works!

Thanks again for all the help!!!
So glad to hear. Those donut cones are a miracle, in my opinion. I used one on my Great Dane when she had a hot spot on her bum. Can you imagine a 115 pound dog trying to navigate a rather crowded house with a cone on?
The inflatable ones are great. Traditional e-collars do leave a lot to be desired, especially to a sensitive animal like a cat. Although FWIW I've never used an e-collar post-spay on a feline. They seem really good about leaving the incision alone, knock on wood. Some lick at the skin glue a little.

LisetteMarie72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So glad to hear. Those donut cones are a miracle, in my opinion. I used one on my Great Dane when she had a hot spot on her bum. Can you imagine a 115 pound dog trying to navigate a rather crowded house with a cone on?
The inflatable ones are great. Traditional e-collars do leave a lot to be desired, especially to a sensitive animal like a cat. Although FWIW I've never used an e-collar post-spay on a feline. They seem really good about leaving the incision alone, knock on wood. Some lick at the skin glue a little.
OMG, I wish I knew about the donut cone a week ago!!! So much better than the plastic cone. She’s much more comfortable in it. And, I don’t think we’d be having this incision issue had she had this from the beginning. The vet supplied the plastic cone. But, you live and learn. The vet had me send a close-up picture of her incision today, they said it looks fine, and to keep an eye on it.

Thanks!!!