Spay Incision (photo Warning - Don't Look If You Get Queasy)

leeannintx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Cat Site folks. This is a photo of my cat's incision on the 3rd day following her spay procedure. Do you think it looks like it is healing OK? There is no seepage from the incision, but to me the skin below the incision looks a little puffy.

Attachments

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I can tell, it's looking OK - no redness or seeping. But it does look rather puffy. I've only had boy cats neutered, so I wouldn't know what a spay incision should look like. Lots of members here do know though, so hopefully a few more people will chime in.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that it does look puffy, but I wouldn't worry. It's been 10 years since I've had a female cat spayed, but I know with my boys, the incision will swell a little bit with fluids. I would give it another day or two to see if the swelling goes down. If you have any concerns, you can always give the vet a call.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what that 'fold is in the middle? Is she that distended and puffy or is it just the way she is laying? Can you get a picture without the fold? From what i can see, the incision itself looks clean, no redness or separating, no leakage. A lump is normal, there is swelling and sutures inside too. If she is extremely swelled, send a picture to your vet via E-mail, or call. Some swelling is normal, as is losing their appetite and sleeping a lot more. Some bounce right back to normal, like my Molly, some can take a week before they even start to get back to normal, like my Chrissy. Make sure she is eating and drinking lots of water. Just please don't hesitate to call the vet if something doesn't feel right to you.Time to call....redness that is spreading, leakage of thick, green or yellow fluid, (a little clear leakage, or clear mixed with a small amount of blood is normal), extreme warmth at the incision site ( it will feel a LITTLE warmer than the rest of her because it is shaved and not insulated with fur) and a large separation of the incision. (a small separation will be all right, I have had that happen several times, send a picture and monitor though) Give her a kiss for em, she will be a much happier little girl in a month!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leeannintx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fold is due to the swelling. She was lying flat on her side when I took this picture.

Isabel hasn't had any appetite or drowsiness issues. The swelling has been there since the initial day, and it doesn't seem to be worsening. I will take your advice and monitor for now.

Thanks for the helpful advice!

I don't know what that 'fold is in the middle? Is she that distended and puffy or is it just the way she is laying? Can you get a picture without the fold? From what i can see, the incision itself looks clean, no redness or separating, no leakage. A lump is normal, there is swelling and sutures inside too. If she is extremely swelled, send a picture to your vet via E-mail, or call. Some swelling is normal, as is losing their appetite and sleeping a lot more. Some bounce right back to normal, like my Molly, some can take a week before they even start to get back to normal, like my Chrissy. Make sure she is eating and drinking lots of water. Just please don't hesitate to call the vet if something doesn't feel right to you.Time to call....redness that is spreading, leakage of thick, green or yellow fluid, (a little clear leakage, or clear mixed with a small amount of blood is normal), extreme warmth at the incision site ( it will feel a LITTLE warmer than the rest of her because it is shaved and not insulated with fur) and a large separation of the incision. (a small separation will be all right, I have had that happen several times, send a picture and monitor though) Give her a kiss for em, she will be a much happier little girl in a month!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have monitored for three days now, it's good there is no worsening, and the vet was most likely aware of what it looked like, but if it is still that swollen I would send that picture, or take it in, to the vet and see if it is normal. I would think if something was going on inside, she would be not eating and drinking, and would be hiding. But it would be for your peace of mind to make sure everything is OK.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks great to me! As long as the incision isn't angry red, weeping, or opening up it should be okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leeannintx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone. I wanted to report back that Isabel's swelling has gone down, and now I don't even notice it. Today is Day 4 after her spay appt. Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.