Spay And Mammary Removal Surgery

MoxZig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again,

I need some helpful tips on aftercare for my 16 year old kitty, Moxie. Here is my first post : Mammary Tumors

None of my recent feline babes have gone through a big surgery like this before aside from getting my boy neutered when he was just a kitten. Aside from the worry about how she will handle such a big surgery I want to make sure she is as comfortable as is possible. I live in a small apartment, there's not much room in the bathroom or closet & no spare room for her to recover. My other cat loves to play so he sometimes harrasses her & stresses her out which I can't let happen. What do I do?

Also the day before, I know she can't have food or water. How do I go about making sure my other cat gets his water & food? I feel terrible withholding anything from Moxie, even though I know it's for her own good so the surgery can take place. All this is making me a bundle of nerves.

Any experience living in a small place & having everything prepared for pre/post surgery?

Thanks everyone <3

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you get a big dog crate for her, for both before and after? Can you feed him in the bathroom?

She can't have any water? I'm unfamiliar with this but if it were me I'd be concerned she'll get dehydrated. Can you maybe double check with the vet on that?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She should be NPO (Nothing by Mouth) starting at midnight the day before. That's pretty standard for ALL surgeries, both human and animal. She'll be fine with that, but do allow her to drink up until midnight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoxZig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you get a big dog crate for her, for both before and after? Can you feed him in the bathroom?

She can't have any water? I'm unfamiliar with this but if it were me I'd be concerned she'll get dehydrated. Can you maybe double check with the vet on that?
Oops, I didn't mean the whole day before without water & food. But yeah the night before the surgery she can't. I don't want to withhold water or food from the other cat, I'll give him dinner in the bathroom too but he likes to graze.

I guess I need to see if anyone has a large crate to borrow, that seems like my only solution at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion.