Sparrow Update. Advice Welcome.

RenM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All.

I posted about week and a half-ago when I had a massive meltdown about my newly adopted blind cat. Things have gotten slightly better with him, but I still worry I’m not a great cat owner. I’ve never owned a cat, so starting with a blind one may not have been wise. But he’s mine so I’m gonna make it work.

I am still worried the little guy isn’t getting enough exercise/attention.

I was told to introduce him slowly room by room, especially because he was a stray and blind. Right now I have him on my first floor (it’s a townhouse) in a probably 10x12 room that’s my study with a couch, chair, desk and desk chair plus not cat stuff, a small foyer, and full bath. Do you all think this is enough space for now? I intend to introduce him upstairs eventually, but he seems very hesitant to explore. I’ve put treats in the various corners of the room and on the couch and chairs to see if he explores it all, but he does not. He pretty much goes to his u-shaped cat lounger/scratcher, his food, and his litter box. Unless he’s scared of something, than he goes behind the toilet.

Now he will come off the lounger and play with me a few times a day. I have a crinkle ball on a string he will usually chase. And sometimes he will let me pet him, but I can’t be with him 24/7. At night I put out treats for him to hunt, and he finds the treats within a safe distance of his lounger but not the further out treats. I also have a mouse feeder he bats around to get food out of at night plus his bowl. I leave the mouse in the same spot, but he at least has to work some for food.

Do you think this is enough for now until he gets braver and starts exploring his home? I spend about 45-60 minutes a day playing with him. 15-20 before breakfast, before dinner and before I go to bed. Then about 20-45 minutes of petting him where he does purr and make biscuits, but it’s fully based on his mood and I listen to what he wants in terms of pets.

I just don’t want my poor guy to be bored! But I’m so used to the boundless energy of dogs. What do you all think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But he’s mine so I’m gonna make it work.
Now he will come off the lounger and play with me a few times a day.
:vibes::rock:!! :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: :thumbsup:

Do you all think this is enough space for now?
Do you think this is enough for now until he gets braver and starts exploring his home?
Yes on both counts.

It sounds to me like you're doing exactly what he needs, and he'll gradually, eventually increase his boundaries of exploration. Bless your heart, and my hat is off to you :worship: because I really truly think you're doing a !!fantastic!! job, and I'm grateful beyond words he found you/you found him :cloud9:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom ! It sounds like it is going very well! And, at 1 1/2 weeks for a sighted kitty it would be considered going well. I am sure a blind kitty will adapt, but I can't believe it wouldn't take some more time for acclimation.

I don't know if it will help but I am giving you links to two TCS articles (see below), just in case they might help.

Blind Cats

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Keep us posted!!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a normal day-in-the-life for a sighted adult cat as well. Most adult cats have more than a little Garfield in them. (if you are not American, Garfield is a fat lazy cat that like lasagna and manipulating his owner.)

Keep in mind that many cats are perfectly happy in tiny studio apartments and let your blind kitty explore at her their own pace. You are doing great!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello All.

I posted about week and a half-ago when I had a massive meltdown about my newly adopted blind cat. Things have gotten slightly better with him, but I still worry I’m not a great cat owner. I’ve never owned a cat, so starting with a blind one may not have been wise. But he’s mine so I’m gonna make it work.

I am still worried the little guy isn’t getting enough exercise/attention.

I was told to introduce him slowly room by room, especially because he was a stray and blind. Right now I have him on my first floor (it’s a townhouse) in a probably 10x12 room that’s my study with a couch, chair, desk and desk chair plus not cat stuff, a small foyer, and full bath. Do you all think this is enough space for now? I intend to introduce him upstairs eventually, but he seems very hesitant to explore. I’ve put treats in the various corners of the room and on the couch and chairs to see if he explores it all, but he does not. He pretty much goes to his u-shaped cat lounger/scratcher, his food, and his litter box. Unless he’s scared of something, than he goes behind the toilet.

Now he will come off the lounger and play with me a few times a day. I have a crinkle ball on a string he will usually chase. And sometimes he will let me pet him, but I can’t be with him 24/7. At night I put out treats for him to hunt, and he finds the treats within a safe distance of his lounger but not the further out treats. I also have a mouse feeder he bats around to get food out of at night plus his bowl. I leave the mouse in the same spot, but he at least has to work some for food.

Do you think this is enough for now until he gets braver and starts exploring his home? I spend about 45-60 minutes a day playing with him. 15-20 before breakfast, before dinner and before I go to bed. Then about 20-45 minutes of petting him where he does purr and make biscuits, but it’s fully based on his mood and I listen to what he wants in terms of pets.

I just don’t want my poor guy to be bored! But I’m so used to the boundless energy of dogs. What do you all think?
I think you're an excellent dog AND cat owner based on what you've said.
He will explore when he's ready. Blind animals usually adapt better than we do, but he's right to be cautious because he is still unfamiliar with the layout of your home, the furniture, and right now he's probably more interested in slowly learning where things are more than playing.
You shouldn't have to be with him 24/7. He will adapt, just give it time and for now, whatever you do don't move furniture or water/food bowls, scratching posts, or anything else that will throw him off.
If I come back as a cat after I die, I'm coming to your house ;) You're doing better than fine. Don't be so hard on yourself :wave3:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to agree with others who have said that this seems like normal cat behavior. My Juniper is healthy and sighted, and took months to feel confident in her new home. She also picked out a safe space for herself (wedged behind an old a/c unit in the back corner of our closet) and gradually expanded her territory.

I'd say mostly just let him explore in his own time. I've also seen episodes of Jackson Galaxy that suggested using scent-soakers with the cat's scent on it to expand his territory (by moving them slowly outward) and adding more textured rugs to help a blind cat navigate a new space.

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RenM, like everyone else, I think you're doing just fine! Sparrow just needs some time to figure out his new home on his own terms. I think keeping him confined in the space with dimensions you describe is just fine to help him gain confidence and familiarity with his surroundings. Most cats are not like dogs, but you're doing wonderfully thinking of and accommodating Sparrow's needs. And it sounds like he's doing great at 1.5 weeks in his new home, especially for a blind cat--1.5 weeks feels like forever but it is not a lot of time in the cat world.

I think Etarre's suggestion to add scent points and different textured carpets so that he can smell and feel his way around is great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RenM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IronHippo IronHippo Etarre Etarre

I love the scent idea! His favorite toy is actually a super tiny mouse that he looses if he bats at it to hard. Do you know of any particular brands?

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have any blankets or scratchers that he uses regularly? I think things that are large enough that he can knead/scratch them would work, as well as soft textiles that he rubs up on or sleeps on. Beds, blankets, etc....

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IronHippo IronHippo Etarre Etarre

I love the scent idea! His favorite toy is actually a super tiny mouse that he looses if he bats at it to hard. Do you know of any particular brands?
Not sure about brands, but there's this banana catnip toy that Marple and Radish love rubbing their faces all over--since cats have scent glands around their face, that might be a good thing to get to use as a "starter" (also, it's just a very enjoyable toy with a nice fine bumpy cloth texture that probably feels good on their faces--Marple drools when she's happy and her banana is always soaked after she's done with it...hahaha). You could also perhaps rub scraps of cloth or a sock over Sparrow's face and body and leave those pieces out to encourage him to explore--if he smells himself there he will probably feel safer about checking new places out.

But don't feel too stressed if he still doesn't want to explore right away--again, the amount of time you've had him is short on the cat world. It sounds like he is settling in fine. :)

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's the banana toy:
I think there are similar ones of different brands out there. Just look for that fine bumpy cloth. I found a bunch (haha) for half off in my local Petco's discount bin a month ago--might be worth checking out!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AI think you should watch blind cat videos and see how well they navigate their space!

Also is Sparrow completely blind? I ask because people have had their ‘blind’ cats hunt&catch things like those light up bouncy balls. Look for toys that engage the other senses besides sight. You might try different scents for different things.

Many single cats are happy in a studio apartment. I would set up a reinforced screen and feeders outside that are around the bird ‘watching’ window. Sparrow can still listen to the birdies outsQu

:goodluck:A

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I also think that you are doing a wonderful job and that Sparrow is right on schedule with his adjustment to your house. I had a cat who went blind due to an illness, but who had lived in my house for most of his life, only indoors, and the blindness really curtailed his activity. In theory, if an animal goes blind in a house that they know, as a dog I owned did once as well, they are basically able to navigate easily if no one moves any furniture, but my cat regressed to being hesitant and cautious despite knowing the floor plan.