Space needed for adult cat to make a 90 turn?

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm designing a cat tree/condo in SketchUp to have built by a local woodworking person and have upper stairwell leading off of the primary stairs. Currently the first step is 8in x 8in (20.32cm x 20.32cm) and each step going up is 8in wide x 7in deep (20.32cm x 17.78). A friend looked at my model and says cats won't be able to make the turn.

Thoughts? And if that will be an issue then what dimensions would you suggest?
cat_condo.png

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I highly doubt that is a problem for a normal weight adult cat. (All bets are off with an obese Main Coon or something.) Check this out for an example of a turn with small dimensions:

Frisco Peek-a-Boo Cat Chute Cat Toy, Colorful Tri-Tunnel - Chewy.com

Of course, maybe some cats would be deterred even if it isn't a physical problem. I wouldn't think so, but cats are hard to figure. You could read the reviews on the product I linked, maybe get a better sense. Of course, that is a 9.5 inch tunnel with a slightly less than 90 degree turn, so the reviews can't provide complete comfort on their own.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply and I was thinking the same thing but was just unsure. Though the tunnel you linked to isn't 90 degrees... 90 degrees would be a hard left or right. Anyway not sure why I didn't think of it before but I found some cardboard and made a makeshift tunnel using 8in x 8in and the wall... and she had no issues making the turn. Heck she prolly could have made the turn with 6in x 6in