Soupy Poopy Saga

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm at a loss and wondering if anyone has some input. One of my rescue kittens, three months old, suffered from constipation so bad that he had a constant unproductive soupiness about his bum. We dewormed. We used laxitives. We used correctol. We tried the pumpkin. We gave him infant suppository. Still constipated. Still soupy. The vet gave me probiotics which soupy refused. I found a liquid probiotic for dogs and started him on that. Nothing. I gave him an enema and stimulated until he had a good poop. Since then this kitten has diarrhea all the time. I bath him twice daily and he's stuck in a crate. I stopped the probiotic. He gets dry food and wet food. Lots of water. Otherwise, he's a regular old kitten. Plays and snuggles. Growing normal considering. Vet is at a loss. Says scope is the only way to figure it out. Obviously I can't afford to butt scope Soupy. I don't want him to spend life in a crate. Anybody have any ideas? Diapers?

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tested the poop using the Real PCR Diarrhea panel? That might let you know if you're dealing with some different parasite that's not usually tested in fecal test at the vet. It could also be from the food or a food intolerance. What are you feeding him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I don't think the vet did anything but test for worms. I think because we brought them through a rescue.
I usually get the Purina grain free dry and wet kitten food. There are a lot of kittens and not much money. I thought about trying a special food for digestion but I cannot think how to keep him from eating everyone else's food.

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tested the poop using the Real PCR Diarrhea panel? That might let you know if you're dealing with some different parasite that's not usually tested in fecal test at the vet. It could also be from the food or a food intolerance. What are you feeding him?
I have given it some thought and I think I will take him to another vet and ask him to do the PCR panel. I appreciate our rescue vet but I think this particular kitten needs more individualized care than the others. Thank you for the direction!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet, but if you ask your vet maybe something here could help;

Unflavored psyllium (metamucil) 1 tsp in his food daily

probiotics, tummyworks is one, animal essentials is another brand

kaolin-pectin medications are safe for cats, about 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds body weight every four to six hours. (The brand Kaopectate has other ingredients that aren't helpful).

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet, but if you ask your vet maybe something here could help;

Unflavored psyllium (metamucil) 1 tsp in his food daily

probiotics, tummyworks is one, animal essentials is another brand

kaolin-pectin medications are safe for cats, about 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds body weight every four to six hours. (The brand Kaopectate has other ingredients that aren't helpful).
Thanks furballsmom! I will ask when we go. The vet gave me a probiotic but it's a pill and this kitten is the most stubborn kitten I've ever given a pill to. I found a liquid for dogs and that's what shifted us from constipation to diarrhea. I will let you know what the other vet says. I'm stumped!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure about tummyworks but the animal essentials is a powder. --I always have to look for powder or liquid thanks to my boy LOL

:vibes::crossfingers: :redheartpump: