Sos! So Concerned; She Is Not Acting Well. Please, Help!

LiveLovingCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Duchess, my small female house cat, has not been ok this morning. She has stayed in one spot going on a minimum of 10 hours and is visibly not ok. The tip of her tongue is been hanging out of her mouth (even when she mewed to me the few times I picked up/held her) with thick, clear drool strung down reaching the floor. Her eyes are only slightly opening when she looks at me. I saw her walk to the litter box an how hour ago; it was a very slow pace. Is she experiencing reactions to poison or toxic substance? More importantly, WHAT CAN I DO TO GIVE HER SOME COMFORT and help this pass.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing you can do is to take your cat to the vet quickly. Call the vet and see if the after hours voicemail message has info on who to call for emergencies. If your cat ingested something toxic, there isn't anything you can do for her at home. You can try calling a poison control hotline (the free one at Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital in the US is 1-785-532-5679. The ASPCA one charges $65) but that won't be of much help if you aren't 100% sure if your cat has ingested something toxic or what that substance is.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This cat needs an ER stat. You have described literally everything that warrants an ER trip with no exceptions. Nothing we can say here will make this better and it would be very irresponsible for someone to try. You do not let this pass. Something is seriously wrong and even if you let it go a few hours and she seems better you have no idea what kind of long term damage to her organs are being done, particular if this is poison.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LiveLovingCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are completely correct, however I am not in a financial position to get her to a vet. I called the local pet er and they gave me the same direction as you. I was hoping to hear some insight and help from people on the site until I can collect the funds to pay for help. My heart is truly breaking that I don't have ability to get her to an er or vet, and that I do not have the knowledge to inform the situation or to comfort her. I can't describe the appreciation I would have for anything at all substantial I can find to help inform me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See if you can get financial help from one of these organizations:

Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Some vets offer some sort of financial aid even if it's just Care Credit which is a credit card.

It's really not a good idea to wait until you get the funds to pay a vet bill. You don't know how long it will take to get funds. A day? A week? Longer? A cat's health can quickly decline until the only thing that can be done is euthanasia.

LiveLovingCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This cat needs an ER stat. You have described literally everything that warrants an ER trip with no exceptions. Nothing we can say here will make this better and it would be very irresponsible for someone to try. You do not let this pass. Something is seriously wrong and even if you let it go a few hours and she seems better you have no idea what kind of long term damage to her organs are being done, particular if this is poison.
I completely agree! That is why I am so desperate to post a forum although I knew I would get the exact reply I received from you (deservingly) (and painfully with shame and embarrassment of the position I am in). I can afford take her anywhere; I am searching for funds and barrowed money to take her to the to a vet as immediate as possible.

LiveLovingCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See if you can get financial help from one of these organizations:

Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Some vets offer some sort of financial aid even if it's just Care Credit which is a credit card.

It's really not a good idea to wait until you get the funds to pay a vet bill. You don't know how long it will take to get funds. A day? A week? Longer? A cat's health can quickly decline until the only thing that can be done is euthanasia.
A day (or less hopefully), worst case two.

Thank you so much btw, the sites will be so helpful for both this emergency and life!

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duchess, my small female house cat, has not been ok this morning. She has stayed in one spot going on a minimum of 10 hours and is visibly not ok. The tip of her tongue is been hanging out of her mouth (even when she mewed to me the few times I picked up/held her) with thick, clear drool strung down reaching the floor. Her eyes are only slightly opening when she looks at me. I saw her walk to the litter box an how hour ago; it was a very slow pace. Is she experiencing reactions to poison or toxic substance? More importantly, WHAT CAN I DO TO GIVE HER SOME COMFORT and help this pass.

LiveLovingCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she is showing signs of more progress and comfort. Since last night she has been getting some good rest and has interacted with both the myself and the litter box. She hasn't meowed or expressed any cry for help (she is typically a very persistent talkative cat especially when she is needy). Although she has stayed in the living space, napping at my desk and occasionally getting up to stretch out and share a seat with me on the couch. We sat down and she accepted some watered down wet food and seems to have gone back for a little more since. I have an appointment scheduled for her with her vet. Thank you for interest!