SOS! Crazy Kitty.

ashesmomma96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My roommate brought her cat to our apartment, and she wasn't able to move in. The cat came from an abusive household, where they wouldn't let him inside the house (including the winter and summer months of upstate ny) and didn't bother to feed him. About 6 or so months ago, the cats owners mistakenly put dog flea medicine on him. He survived, and is now my cat. He was never neutered.
The problem with my little angel is he often attacks me as well as anyone who comes into my apartment. He doesn't hide or hiss, he just latches onto people arms, legs, or feet and bites and claws, and sometimes "rabbit kicks" with his hind legs. He does this randomly, unprovoked and when his tummy is pet (obviously). I have tried to get him to stop, he has multiple toys and gets loads of attention. He does this even to people he loves.
Any advice would be helpful!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My roommate brought her cat to our apartment, and she wasn't able to move in. The cat came from an abusive household, where they wouldn't let him inside the house (including the winter and summer months of upstate ny) and didn't bother to feed him. About 6 or so months ago, the cats owners mistakenly put dog flea medicine on him. He survived, and is now my cat. He was never neutered.
The problem with my little angel is he often attacks me as well as anyone who comes into my apartment. He doesn't hide or hiss, he just latches onto people arms, legs, or feet and bites and claws, and sometimes "rabbit kicks" with his hind legs. He does this randomly, unprovoked and when his tummy is pet (obviously). I have tried to get him to stop, he has multiple toys and gets loads of attention. He does this even to people he loves.
Any advice would be helpful!
How old is your kitty?  Are you going to get him neutered?  That might help a lot with calming down his behavior. 

Have you tried any of calming agents like Feliway or calming treats?  

Finally, I know some people are against medicating cats for behavioral problems but sometimes it works as a short-term solution.  I took in a cat after a friend died and didn't realize he was mostly deaf.  He freaked out with our cats and the unfamiliar surroundings.  He was extremely violent, like you describe yours being--randomly latching on and attacking.  

My vet suggested acepromazine.  It was a life-saver.  It calmed him tremendously--long enough for him to get used to his new situation.  We only had to use it for a few days.  He never did get along with my other cats but he calmed down and turned into the sweetest boy ever.

I understand that ace isn't recommended for cats that much any more.  It might be worth it to ask your vet if they can recommend something else that would help your boy short-term.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashesmomma96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's 2 and a half, and most of the time he's cuddly and sweet and calm, but he gets random spats where he attacks. I've had him for over a month and he's definitely adjusted, but I'm not sure.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
How about the other things?  Will he be neutered?  Have you tried any treats or Feliway?

ashesmomma96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't afford to get him neutered, unless my roommate can manage to do it. I didn't know there were such things but I'll surely try it

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
That's too bad about the neutering.  Have you checked for low-cost clinics in your area?  I know that around here a couple of the rescue places offer vouchers to help with neutering costs and work with vets who will accept them.  It might be worth calling around to some of the shelters or rescue places to see if they can help you with the cost.

Let us know how you both do!  

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering would greatly help with his aggression. There are low cost options, or perhaps you could save up for a few months.

ashesmomma96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he too old to neuter? I don't want him to get any UTIs...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely not too old to neuter and I don't see why that would contribute to a uti.