Sores Under Cats Chin?

Taryn Nelson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all, my kitty has 3 sores under her chin, what could this be and how could I get rid of them? should I be concerned? I have already replaced plastic bowls with glass bowls, thank you

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago did you replace the bowls? If it is chin acne, which is most likely given the location, it can take a week or two for them to fully clear up. If it has been less than two weeks I would give it some more time and make sure you are cleaning the new dishes daily.

If the spots get bigger or more appear a quick vet visit to confirm that it is chin acne and not something else is probably in order. If it is chin acne your vet can advise you of a more aggressive treatment plan that is also safe for your cat.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Sunny had chin acne when I adopted him from the shelter, and my vet mentioned 3 possible causes--stress from the shelter, plastic (water fountain; I use ceramic dishes), or food allergy.

I replaced my water fountain with a ceramic one, and some research suggested that cats commonly have a fish allergy, so I kept him on an all-meat diet.

The acne cleared up, but I have no idea what triggered it, since coming home involved 3 changes.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 kitties that are very prone to chin acne and it's usually stress related because we wash their bowls daily. I notice it when our Feliway diffuser runs low or runs out. If it doesn't clear up, you can wash the spots with Stridex pads or Hibiclens soap.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be chin acne.

But I'd have it checked out to make sure. Sometimes chin acne can get infected, and require antibiotics.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks very much like feline acne to me. As Steph said you can use a Stridex pad on the area to speed up healing. I've even heard of people using Listerine, Sea Breeze or even isopropyl alcohol on the area.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks very much like feline acne to me. As Steph said you can use a Stridex pad on the area to speed up healing. I've even heard of people using Listerine, Sea Breeze or even isopropyl alcohol on the area.