Sores On Cats Neck

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we first got Murphy the vet tech we got her from (she was fostering her) suspected that she had ringworm so they were medicating it while we were waiting for her to come home to us. However once we had her and took her to our vet they said it was not ringworm, and it wasn't getting any better after having two type of ringworm medicines for over 4 weeks.

The scabs will go away and then come back, however this certain spot is getting worse and worse because she keeps scratching it. I'm suspecting food allergies so I am in the process of getting rabbit food for her since I am pretty sure it's not something she's had before (from what I've been told they can't be allergic to a protein they haven't had). The food should be here Thursday. The sores are getting really bad and so she has a vet appointment today to have this one checked out. I am hoping maybe they have claw caps and can use those so it can heal. I feel so bad for her.

315302141_434783048869485_5459635026042382321_n.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby.
Ask the vet if there's something to help with the itchiness, including something simple like chamomile tea (store bought) which is anti fungal, anti bacterial and can help ease the discomfort so that along with claw caps, or a cone? she might be able to stop scratching at it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: The put her on amoxicillin and gave me an ointment to put on 2x a day. It seems to be healing okay but she does keep scratching it open sometimes. I had to order some claw caps and received them yesterday so tomorrow I will call and make an appointment for the vet techs to put them on her back paws. I've completely switched her over to a single protein food of rabbit. Hopefully all these steps will help.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure you read the food ingredients in detail. Some foods that claim to be to be limited ingredient rabbit, duck, lamb, etc., will have chicken broth in them . When I was looking for rabbit and lamb for our cat, I remember seeing a limited ingredient lamb that had turkey in it. Fish is also a common allergen for cats. I have had two cats in the past with fish allergies, and one allergic to chicken. Our current kitty, Buddy is allergic to chicken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure you read the food ingredients in detail. Some foods that claim to be to be limited ingredient rabbit, duck, lamb, etc., will have chicken broth in them . When I was looking for rabbit and lamb for our cat, I remember seeing a limited ingredient lamb that had turkey in it. Fish is also a common allergen for cats. I have had two cats in the past with fish allergies, and one allergic to chicken. Our current kitty, Buddy is allergic to chicken.
Thank you! Yes, she is currently eating stella& chewy's freeze dried raw rabbit and occasionally some instinct limited ingredient rabbit pate and meal toppers. No other meat protein of any kind on either of them!