Sores in cat's mouth. Please help? Going to the vet today.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Charlie has had Stomatitis and several surgeries to remove teeth and fragments. He was recently given Depo Medrol and Antibiotic injection to help. I noticed he still has difficulty eating though. I have been watching inside his mouth and today I found sores apparent on the roof of mouth and another one close to the gums. It is likely irritated because he is pawing at it. So, we are off to the vet for a third time in 2 weeks this afternoon.
Charlie.PNG
Charlie2.PNG

I have been hand feeding him everything for 2 weeks and will continue to do so for as long as needed. He does much better eating dry food a little at a time all day long than wet food. Wet food immediately irritates.

What type of additional condition does this look like to you?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I don't have any experience with stomatitis, nor would I be able to say whether or not something else is going on. Hopefully, other members will soon see your post and offer their first hand experience.

Please let us know what happens at the vet!! Wishing for good things!! :vibes::goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I don't have any experience with stomatitis, nor would I be able to say whether or not something else is going on. Hopefully, other members will soon see your post and offer their first hand experience.

Please let us know what happens at the vet!! Wishing for good things!! :vibes::goodluck:
Thank you. The Doctor says that these are consistent with Stomatitis. Also, that they look like they are disappearing rather than forming. Doctor said to give him a week, watch him for a week to hope for improvement. He said, no more wet food because wet food takes longer to absorb, causing blood sugar to spike. Will start swiftly weaning him off wet. He has a hard time eating it anyhow and luckily prefers dry food.

He is concerned that there may be some Diabetes or Renal issues. Not sure why. Also, something about Hypoglycemia. Also, I will need to think over the next week about getting Charlies blood work done. It has been a couple of years. Hopefully, any potential Renal issues would be managed with diet. But, any potential Diabetes will also need to be managed with Insulin. If this is what is ever required, than this is what I will do. My concerns were the costs of Insulin. Anyone know how much that is going to run me, if he needs it??? I heard it could be around $500 + / year.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not unheard of for some people to manage it the same way as human diabetic do. With a glucometer and adjusting diet as needed as opposed to just giving insiln whether it's needed or not. I have no personal experience doing it this way but would assume it is more cost effective.

I don't think you should be concerned though until a blood panel confirms its presence

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wait for the blood work. As my gran always said, "Don't you go borrowing trouble! Wait for it to find you." As for the sores, try to get a photo of them every day so that you KNOW exactly how they are changing. That will be invaluable to you and your vet going forward.