Sore On My Cat’s Head

TheApiarist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
A week ago, I noticed a sore on my cat’s head. I decided to monitor it. The sore scabbed, but yesterday it got raw again. Any ideas on what it is and what should I do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Allergies? Fleas? My cat, Feeby, goes through allergy bouts and scratches areas like that, particularly on her head and neck area. That place is pretty big though - could now be infected. Check with your vet to see if they think it is worth a visit, and perhaps they could also recommend some sort of topical treatment. Indoor only cat? That could play a role in the cause as well.

Others with better advice will come along and help you more. I just know how it feels while waiting to get some responses, and thought I would at least acknowledge your dilemma.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agaree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner in that it's probably worth a visit to the Vet. This could definitely be a food allergy, but it could be something else altogether. No way for us to know. It may need a culture. Is he scratching at it? It's just very curious that it scabbed over, then opened up again unless he scratched the scab off.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is your cat scratching at it or rubbing his head on objects? If so, put an e-collar on the cat until you can get to a vet. You can use a typical plastic cone collar or one of the soft donut shaped ones. I recommend making an appointment with the vet soon as the sore has not healed on its own after a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheApiarist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much everyone! I think it’s indeed an allergic reaction, since it began the day after I gave her a little piece of lamb.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lamb? That's considered a novel protein and shouldn't cause a reaction. Was it raw lamb? Cooked lamb? I'd still take the cat to the vet anyways or at least send the vet the picture of the sore and ask for advice.