Sore on back on cat’s leg

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

i noticed this on the back of my cat’s leg. It doesn’t seem to bother him and it’s not bleeding or oozing. I asked my aunt who runs an animal rescue and she said to just watch it. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It might not be anything but a 'cowlick'. Basically, the fur growing in a way that shows the skin because of the way the cat sits frequently.

If the pinkness is caused because it's a little swollen, it could be from arthritis or injury. It would be based to make a vet appointment in the next month or two if it doesn't resolve or if they begin limping. If your cat's skin is the same pink as that everywhere, then it's likely the first case and no vet appointment is needed.

Both my orange cats have had this before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! It might not be anything but a 'cowlick'. Basically, the fur growing in a way that shows the skin because of the way the cat sits frequently.

If the pinkness is caused because it's a little swollen, it could be from arthritis or injury. It would be based to make a vet appointment in the next month or two if it doesn't resolve or if they begin limping. If your cat's skin is the same pink as that everywhere, then it's likely the first case and no vet appointment is needed.

Both my orange cats have had this before.
Thank you! I think it appears a little darker than before, but I’ll keep an eye on it. He’s about a year and a half. I adopted him after my cat died suddenly. She was only 7 and out of nowhere I noticed a lump on her side. Vet said it was cancer and there was nothing they could do. She was gone within 3 months. So any issue my cat has now, I immediately assume the worst.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes it's very likely that it is just a cowlick then :) I was worried about Magnus's at first too. ❣

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats have a bald spot on the back of their legs. It's just a pressure point in contact with the floor a lot so fur doesn't really grow much there. Nothing to worry about unless it becomes red and irritated or a wound develops etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the responses! I feel better knowing it’s not serious.